Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of interest is it possible to retro fit the early alloy manifold to the later model fitted with the plastic manifold?

·
Registered
888 Posts
no, as plastic ones are incompatible in terms of swirl flaps control as far as I know, so if you buy in dealer you get official type for your car/VIN. you will just get latest revision of specific type, which in both cases means still the same problems anyway.

I also heard from guy I talked to some time ago that plastic ones have coolant circulating through some channels within manifold (he said he had leak there and so replaced it). in other hand I read on forum (alfaholicy.org), that people change back to alloy manifold (and even sometimes use manifold out of alfa 156 withou swirl flaps), so bit of confusion for me regarding compatibility.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Yes, it will fit I fitted one to a mates car a few years ago, we used a none swirl valve 156 manifold which is identical to the ally swirl manifolds, apart obviously from the valves.
They all have the coolant feed from the head so the pipe work is the same, the only none standard part was mounting of the swirl valve motor, you have to keep it electronically connected or the engine light will come on but the mounting points are different but it wasnt difficult mount it, I think 2 of the 4 holes will bolt straight up.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone on Facebook was saying that Autolusso fitted a replacement alloy manifold instead of the plastic one for them.

I'd do it if it was possible to get the swirl flaps working as intended.

Any ideas Ned?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
no, as plastic ones are incompatible in terms of swirl flaps control as far as I know, so if you buy in dealer you get official type for your car/VIN. you will just get latest revision of specific type, which in both cases means still the same problems anyway.

I also heard from guy I talked to some time ago that plastic ones have coolant circulating through some channels within manifold (he said he had leak there and so replaced it). in other hand I read on forum (alfaholicy.org), that people change back to alloy manifold (and even sometimes use manifold out of alfa 156 withou swirl flaps), so bit of confusion for me regarding compatibility.
My plastic one does have a coolant feed from head but it only goes to a small vertical pipe with a rubber cap on,it does not circulate through manifold. Makes a cracking coolant bleed point (maybe that’s its purpose)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine already has no swirl flaps. The thought was to reinstate them in a safe way to see how it affects the torque and driveability low down the rev range.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,044 Posts

·
7,044 Posts
Someone on Facebook was saying that Autolusso fitted a replacement alloy manifold instead of the plastic one for them.

I'd do it if it was possible to get the swirl flaps working as intended.

Any ideas Ned?
Yes we remove the metal swirl flaps from the manifold and tap the holds with M6 bolts

Ned

·
Registered
3,796 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
no sign of swirl flaps underneath manifold? in plastic 1.9 all was underneath (as oppose to alloy ones where levers and links were on top side and clearly visible). I seem to remember pictures of 2.0 with swirlf laps

·
7,044 Posts
Nope...none in my ....mine IS the 2.0 JTDm 159! As far as I'm aware it has the original manifold...but I guess it might have been changed at some point in the last 8 years/136,000 miles. No sign of control unit or unused wires either though.
2.0 JTD in the 159's have swirl flaps so yes my friend you do have swirl flaps, picture attached is a 2.0 JTD manifold with metal swirl flaps from a 159

The Giulietta Jtdm 2.0 have swirl flaps but they fixed plastic ones

Ned

Attachments

·
7,044 Posts
So would a 2 litre manifold with plastic flaps fit on and work on a 1.9 159?
Yes but it is easier to use the standard 1.9 manifold you have and remove the flaps from it, take the spindles and tap the holes to an M6 and put bolts in the holes

We can do you a manifold with this done and a gasket for £90 inc VAT so everything you need to do the job

Ned

1 - 18 of 18 Posts