Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I know there is a lot of threads re the fuel consumption for the 159.
My 08 159jtdm has always had very poor mpg. Typically low 20's to at best high 20's on mixed driving.
But now since an oil change its up to average MPG mid 30's to mid 40s some trips average in high 40's!!!( NEVER saw this before ...same driving ...same trips )..
The improvement came 4 weeks ago immediately after oil change. I went to independent garage. They replaced the filter and oil ( they used valvoline 5w30 FS ) for a very reasonable €85 ( I couldnt afford to go back to the AR dealer ...last year they charged €187 to do same job!!! ..not actually sure they did change it ...didnt see any improvement that time)
Anyway just wanted to share my experience and unexpected surprise at the improved mpg after oil replacement!!

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Can't comment on the better mpg but I'm sure dealer also never changed my oil, just reset the mileage counter

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
With my 2.4 I found that the regens decreased when I changed the oil with proper Synthetic shell of the correct viscosity.
Unfortunately not such a major improvement in consumption on my side.
Didn’t he update the ECU with new software or something while he had the car?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Apparently, oil is not included in the service, and will only be flagged by the dealer on a service if the oil degradation is below a certain percent........I found this out on my last service when the dealer rang me......not sure it got changed though 'cause the dash light is on for an oil change :-(

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I still believe in changing oil and filter at 10 000km intervals.
For crying out loud it is a Turbo Diesel, 10 years ago we changed it at 5000km intervals and they didn’t make 50% of the power.
When the motor fails thanks to bad maintenance after the warranty expired it will be your problem and not there’s.

My opinion take the car to an independent and have the oil and filter changed at 10 000km intervals the dealers will never know it and your motor will be a lot happier.

If it is out of warranty definitely change it at 10 000km or once a year and no les I do that on my GTV 3.2 as well.

·
Vendor
46,729 Posts
For crying out loud it is a Turbo Diesel, 10 years ago we changed it at 5000km intervals and they didn’t make 50% of the power.
When the motor fails thanks to bad maintenance after the warranty expired it will be your problem and not there’s.

My opinion take the car to an independent and have the oil and filter changed at 10 000km intervals the dealers will never know it and your motor will be a lot happier.

If it is out of warranty definitely change it at 10 000km or once a year and no les I do that on my GTV 3.2 as well.
Totally agree. Mine is scheduled for change every 12,000 miles according to the servce book, I always do it at 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Totally agree. Mine is scheduled for change every 12,000 miles according to the servce book, I always do it at 6,000 miles.
Same here. I,ve always changed mine on every car i've had at 6000 miles.

To me they have lengthened the intervals to sell cars and any problems will probably appear after the warranty has expired. Making more money for the dealers :mad:

·
Vendor
46,729 Posts
To me they have lengthened the intervals to sell cars and any problems will probably appear after the warranty has expired. Making more money for the dealers :mad:
Yes I totally agree. Oil hasn't got that much better...

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,951 Posts
Yes I totally agree. Oil hasn't got that much better...
I think oil has got that much better, but an oil change will always be a damned sight cheaper than new clockwork!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Oil improved by a huge margin but so did gridlock so we spend more time idling in traffic so the oil degrades so much faster.
Forget about km / miles we need engine hour counters to tell us when an oil or cam belt change is needed.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Oil improved by a huge margin but so did gridlock so we spend more time idling in traffic so the oil degrades so much faster.
Forget about km / miles we need engine hour counters to tell us when an oil or cam belt change is needed.
What a cracking idea.....get it patented straight away :thumbs:thumbs:
If my car wasn't a lease car, and going back to Alfa after three years, then I'd defo be changing my oil before the "change oil" light came on....like.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
oil change

I could not agree more. I recently changed to Mobil1 5 -30W.
Any thoughts on this particular oil?

·
Registered
291 Posts

+1 :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Totally agree about changing oil every 6k miles, always have done and will continue to, every 18k miles is ridiculous.
It is interesting that Alfa recommend 5w40 but the same engine in vauxhall's and Saab's use 5w30

·
Vendor
46,729 Posts
Totally agree about changing oil every 6k miles, always have done and will continue to, every 18k miles is ridiculous.
It is interesting that Alfa recommend 5w40 but the same engine in vauxhall's and Saab's use 5w30
The VX/Saab engines use different oil pumps, maybe thats the reason.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The VX/Saab engines use different oil pumps, maybe thats the reason.
SELENIA WR P.E. is SAE 5W-30, and I think I read in one Alfa Romeo 159 - Owner’s Manual that it is recommended for JTDm engines. However, in older OMs, SELENIA WR SAE 5W-40 is recommended. Maybe the case is that they produced this 5W-30 oil later.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What a cracking idea.....get it patented straight away :thumbs:thumbs:
If my car wasn't a lease car, and going back to Alfa after three years, then I'd defo be changing my oil before the "change oil" light came on....like.:eek:
Hours run meter standard fit to all marine diesels

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Is there any way to tell when the oil was last changed?
I know when the car we bought recently (159 SW Ti 2.0Jtdm) was last serviced but that doesn't mean they changed the oil too. I'd like to change the oil to be sure but I don't really want to do that only for the car to tell me it needs an oil change in 3 months time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Saab changed the oil to 0w40 mobile 1 (green container) cf3 rated which has a low ash content to stop the dpf blocking up and never saw any block up unless it had an egr fault

1 - 20 of 22 Posts