Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

My 2009 159 ti (1.9 diesel) is whining! Power steering pump is in need of replacement and I have two questions...

1. Is the power steering pump for a petrol model the same as a diesel?

2. Anyone have the part number of the pump I need or even a resource or website where I could source it?

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chipmik, but Im no good at German so that site is a little lost on me as there's no translation option:(

The thing is I've found a new one on eBay (with an OEM reference no. of 71793586) and I'm wondering if it will do the job? hence the two queries in original post.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks chipmik, but Im no good at German so that site is a little lost on me as there's no translation option:(

The thing is I've found a new one on eBay (with an OEM reference no. of 71793586) and I'm wondering if it will do the job? hence the two queries in original post.
I´d say you would be able to find one for your car for same prize if you look good enough (You could have sent a link to unit ;-) ) :) Unfortunately no clue whether petrol/diesels are the same :)

Same shop in English: http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/mapco/7644357

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before you blow all your cash on a new pump, are you sure it's not the very common reservoir filter problem?

A quick search of the forum will find you a lot more info but in short, there's a filter in the power steering fluid reservoir that comes loose and (as I understand it) can allow grit or air into the system which causes a whining noise. The tell-tale is to run the car and then take off the reservoir cap. If you see lots of bubbles, it could simply be the reservoir - and not the pump.

I ordered a new reservoir from Mangoletsi yesterday - it arrived today and I'll be fitting it tomorrow :)

UPDATED! Fitted the new reservoir today and it's completely solved the problem. The whining/moaning noise from the power steering had been loud enough to be embarrassing. Took about 30 mins from start to finish and now my steering is lighter, and silent.

My thanks to the forum members for all the info that put me on the right path. Saved me a fortune! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts