Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,had my 159 1.9jtd for about 4 months and think im having my first issue :(

It has 81k on the clock, had a full service and cambelt sorted about 2 months ago and everything was great...

The last couple of days when I start the car I seem to have to stamp on the accelerator in first gear to get it to shift. Whilst it is warming up I feel like I have to drive the car in a gear lower than usual. After it warms up it is great but its very frustrating that this is happening.

I wonder if this is a common issue and if anyone has any advice on what couldbe causing it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
hi Dave

im having a similar issue at the moment, but i'd describe it more as being a bit rough.

i half put this down to only using my car for short journeys of late, so this morning took it for a bit of a blast on the motorway and really put my foot down. can't say its made much difference to be honest

also have tried this bg244 fuel additive that is mentioned on another thread, which is supposed to just clean the engine through a bit. have a read up on it. i'll let you know how i've got on

my 159 has 103k on the cllock now, so is ticking on a bit, but still a pleasure to drive ;0

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same as you mate, I have recently got a job round the corner from me do not doing many motorway miles at the min... I have searched around on here and have seen numerous mentions of EGR valve being goosed.. :( hope its not that as don't want to have to pay out so close to Xmas.

Was taking it on a long motorway drive recommended to you? I might give this a try on the weekend... Keep it in 4th and blast it down the M57 for a bit. Let me know how you get on with yours mate :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
My 1.9 jtdm was doing just this when I first bought it so I tried a set of glow plugs, it was whilst fitting them that I noticed the manifold swirl valve rod was off so some of the secondary ports were open and some closed, I refitted it and with the new glow plugs it started fine but after a day or so it was back to starting badly so I checked and the rod was off again.
The only fix I'm afraid was a new inlet manifold, the car now drives much better, is great on fuel and starts straight away on the first turn of the key

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Ah yes Dave, could be EGR valve. I had an issue a few months ago, car was in 'limp mode' (i.e. driving with very little power) for day after day. In the end I decided to chance it and get a second hand EGR valve from ebay for £30, and fit it myself. Did the job. On looking at my old EGR valve, all it probably needs is a good clean!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a pretty scary near miss when I pulled out on a roundabout earlier, it wasnt due to my bad timing but when i put my foot down the car went nowhere fast! Before I knew it a car was up my arse, the turbo then kicked in and then I was off like a shot but still... it was definately a twitchy bum moment!

I am going to pass the car onto Mototech to have a look at as soon as possible. Will report back with problems and fixes. :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Mine still running rough. And noisy on startup.
Quite a belch of smoke too.
Thats with this BG244 stuff in it.

How does one clean the injectors?

·
Registered
507 Posts
You take them out and take them to an injector cleaning company, who will then flow test them as well.

Or use a bottle of wynns injector cleaner to see if that improves the situation

·
Registered
146 Posts
i've tried various injector cleaners but none helped.

i made an appointment and went to the company where they took out all injectors, cleaned in some special way and then they tested them on some strange machinery. one of five was a bit slow on response so they disassembled it and repaired by renewing some interior parts.

now car is like new again regarding road manners. responds to gas pedal as soon as i touch it. there is no more lag as before when i've pressed pedal and car started pulling after a second or two. also i've noticed some slight improvement on economy. no more cold engine rough idling and also blue smoke during cold engine start disappeared.

was pricey but i'm satisfied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts