Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've made a bit of a start to it now so thought I'd document what I've done so far (although there is still a long way to go!!!)

with the 156 (especially interior facelift) there is only space for a single din radio ... unless of course you remove the fuel, temp and clock gauges ... the plan is to remove the gauges and interface with the car to get the data to display this on a 7" touch screen ... I've written the "backend" software to interface with gauges ... however I've still got to put a decent front end on it, I have a background in real time embedded software but that doesn't usually involve doing fancy graphics so making it look good with be the challenge :thumbs:

anyway here is the develoment environment ... matx motherboard with built in VGA and dolby 7.1 sound card (the board has a 6 channel pre-out's ...), a low power AMD2+ processor, linitx.com transreflective touch screen, M4-ATX power supply (although for the development rig I've got a standard PSU) ...

For interfacing to the car (for temp etc) I've got a USB A/D converter which takes the output from the circuit that drives the gauges (via some homemade electronics to get it into the right format ...)

And the facia to modify to fit the screen ...

I've also done a couple of bits to the car (like install some 4AWG cable and also done some woodwork in the boot to hold the 'puter and the new amp) ... but I'll take some pics of them later ...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
wow! no idea what any of that means but i'm sure its gonna be awesome.

watch out Michael Knight, here comes 156Chris.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent work Chris :thumbs:

impressive :thumbs:
.. maybe when finished ...

wow! no idea what any of that means but i'm sure its gonna be awesome.

watch out Michael Knight, here comes 156Chris.
:lol:

:wow: .... blimey!!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Been meaning to do it for a long time ...

Some great work gone into that so far Chris.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article! :cool:

... a lot more to go though ... I'm following the "sixnut" method of just doing bits 'n' bobs rather than having a plan :thumbs: (or at least that's how it seems :lol:)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
cool project. i look forward to seeing the progress and results.

:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chris,
How cool is that?!?! :thumbs:

You would not believe it, but I was imagining the same project, last night. Not that I could accomplish it, but how cool and customizable it might be.
I suspected the 'entertainment' part would be rather straight forward, expect perhaps wiring to speakers/amp, but wondered about a GPS part and found ideas and h/w and s/w on the web for such a thing.

Personally, I probably would have gone the VIA CPU/MB route, but if it works it works. I'm not a fanboy of any and own them all.

Best of luck! Keep us updated and I will follow with great interest and anticipation of the final product.
You are a brave man!

Cheers!
bill

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you bought a V6 you wouldnt need any of that :p :lol:

Interesting project, will be great to see the results

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I probably would have gone the VIA CPU/MB route, but if it works it works. I'm not a fanboy of any and own them all.

I did think about it, but tbh they are more expensive and slower ... the only advantage is that they are smaller (it's going in my boot so not an issue) and quiter/fanless (yet again not an issue as it's going in the boot) ...

If you bought a V6 you wouldnt need any of that :p :lol:

Interesting project, will be great to see the results

You're propably right :p :(

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right well ... I'll try and transfer some stuff from the AO holiday home ..

I've done some work fabricating the enclosure ... unpainted in situ

... and under coat applied ...

... and tonight I managed to get out for an hour (until I got called in "what are you doing out there on that car ... it's saturday night you should be in here with me :rolleyes:") ... I've got the boxing sorted to hold the amp and motherboard etc ...

... obviously I'm going to carpet them ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and one of the guys on the AO holiday home needed a new bose sub ... so that pursaded me to sell him mine (I was planning on temporarily using the BOSE speakers until I'd got everything else finished) and get a new sub, so I bought (on the spur of the moment again :lol:) a JBL GTO-1202d, it seemed to have reasonable internet reviews, so I'm going to have to create a custom (sealed) sub-box for that too (I've got a load of very think MDFs lying around :thumbs:)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
yeah, nice work.

:)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Looking good. Did a build in an Astra GTE years back. The whole boot lined in MDF, 4free air subs Inverted on the parcel shelf with 2 RFosgate amps. Big blue spot headunit and hearing problems ever since.

Ah.... the olden days. When men were men.... and so were the women!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right, progress made!!! software I'm going to use (instead of handwritting it all) is centrafuse - bloody good program, although I'm having to program a plugin for it for my replacement gauges which is mostly there (just got some polishing to do) ... the hardware interface to the car is all complete and I'm taking temperature readings which I'm calibrating with Alfadiag (calibration of the fuel gauge will have to be done as I drive, i.e. record the highest and lowest values and also measure differences when I put in fuel ... although I haven't seen if alfadiag can give me this too ...)

The motherboard is mounted and everthing else is ready to be screwed down, the fabricated dash has had about a million coats of paint (just keep finding little marks :mad: ... put the final coat on tonight only to come back 5 minutes later to find an eyelash in it :rant: ... so wet'n'dry it back and redo it ... again ...) but it is starting to look pretty good ...

I've started to think about where to put the sub ... I don't quite know what I was expecting for the size but I didn't expect the sub to be this big ...
:lol: ... anyway the sub is going to be mounted across the backseat ...

... :lol: oh and when I put in the 4AWG cable I've just realised that I forgot to reconnect the drivers side windscreen washer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Just found this thread, would ahve suggested the fanless CPU route if it hadn't already been covered.
Have you thought about vibration, thermal creep can make memory etc come loose so vibration will probably cause issues as well.
Sure it will look great when finished.
When its all done turn your thoughts to intergrating it with the ICS in a 166 :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just found this thread, would ahve suggested the fanless CPU route if it hadn't already been covered.
Have you thought about vibration, thermal creep can make memory etc come loose so vibration will probably cause issues as well.
Sure it will look great when finished.
When its all done turn your thoughts to intergrating it with the ICS in a 166 :lol:
I tell you what, with this low power CPU I think that it would work without a fan (the fan always seems to run at it's lowest possible speed and the heatsink stays room temperature :thumbs: )... but yes, vibration is a bit of a worry, I've attached the motherboard with anti-vibration screws, also as it's mounted (ultimately) on wood hopefully that will damp it too ... just got to suck it and see ... :D

1 - 20 of 383 Posts