Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of the freeze, I attempted to start my 156 to give her a warm through. The engine turned over and fired up as normal, then died after running for only a few seconds.

:confused:

Since then, I have not been able to get the engine to turn over; when I turn the ignition, there is a metallic rasping sound.

:(

Any advice, before I begin talking to mobile mechanics/arrange to get towed to a garage.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, the car is the 2.5L v6.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Is there any Warning messages on the dash?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Deffo flat battery, the rasping noise you can here is the solenoid unable to engage the starter with the ring gear due to lack of oomph.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deffo flat battery, the rasping noise you can here is the solenoid unable to engage the starter with the ring gear due to lack of oomph.
I hope you are correct, but I am not overly confident. The engine did start when very cold, then faded and would not start again. Perhaps the cold afffected the battery and that initial start took most of its remaining oomph?

Anyways, the battery is on charge, so I'll try again in the morning.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine did a similar thing a few months ago.

Hubby spent best part of a day cleaning all sorts of various connections. If it's not the battery, Check that you are getting fuel in. In the end it turned out to be a dodgy connection on the fuel pump.

Although finger's crossed it will just be a duff battery!

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I hope I'm wrong, but if the coolant had frozen and jammed the water pump, that could cause the cambelt to skip or strip a tooth, causing these symptoms......fingers crossed. If it is low battery the sound would tend to be like a chattering as the relay on the strter tried to throw the starter dog in.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I hope I'm wrong, but if the coolant had frozen and jammed the water pump, that could cause the cambelt to skip or strip a tooth, causing these symptoms......fingers crossed. If it is low battery the sound would tend to be like a chattering as the relay on the strter tried to throw the starter dog in.
The water pump on the Vs is not cam belt driven Rich!:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I charged the battery, but still no joy.

TBH, the rasping sound has gone, but I can't tell if the engine is turning over or not. There is a noise, but I am not sure exactly what it is.

A full service was completed mid October, as well as a new timing belt and water pump.

I did run out of petrol a few weeks back, so I'm wondering if there is a fuel blockage?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Knackered starter motor maybe?

Surely you can tell if its turning over or not

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is the battery in a good state? If it's completely knackered then charging won't fix it.
Try a known good battery and at least you can eliminate it as the cause, or attach some jump leads and try starting it.
The noise you have heard has change since you charged the battery so could well be that simple ,but it should be obvious if it is turning over!!?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I turn the ignition, there is a concerted noise, but as it has always started almost immediately, I cannot say if the noise is the engine turning over or something else. It certainly isn't the rrr-rrr-rrr sound of the old jalopes I've owned.

Battery is less than 6 months old and has been perfect up to now.

·
Registered
656 Posts
When I turn the ignition, there is a concerted noise, but as it has always started almost immediately, I cannot say if the noise is the engine turning over or something else. It certainly isn't the rrr-rrr-rrr sound of the old jalopes I've owned.

Battery is less than 6 months old and has been perfect up to now.
You would know if the engine is trying to turn over. What do you get at the moment "click click". It could be the starter motor sticking, put it in 1st gear handbrake down and move it back a forth a few times, this might release the starter if it is that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As a last resort if you really can not tell if it is turning over, move the car to somewhere with a little space in front of it stick it in first gear (handbrake off! and foot off the clutch)and turn the key, if you move forward then it's not your starter. Be ready to step on the brake in case she does fire up, but sounds most unlikely!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She was turning over. I think there were two issues.

1. Running out of petrol does you no good. Even though I topped up the tank, there must have been some dirt or air that got into the system and this caused the initial fade/reluctance to start.

2. Weakened battery power due to reluctance to start (see above/freezing weather....)

Once I'd fully charged the battery so I could get her to turn over for a very significant amount of time, she finally spluttered into life. Since then I have been on a run and now all seems well.

Thank you all so very much for your input. It really is a help to an ignoraimous like me!

:thumbs::thumbs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts