Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My son's 2001 156 1.8TS is stuck on the drive while he's away in Afghan for 9 months and wants me to sell it for him, prior to sprucing it up and sticking it on eBay I wanted to see if the red airbag LED that's been on for ages could be fixed.

FES gave an error that the Airbag ECU had an unspecified/internal error. Tried clearing the error but it refused to go away.

I disconnected the battery, gave it 10 mins or so then looked at the connections under driver and passenger seat, also the big orange connector on the ECU behind the panel at the side of the footrest. Gave them all a squirt of WD40, still the LED is on and now it won't start.

The immobiliser symbol goes off OK and it's turning over OK, just no sign at all of any life. It's low on petrol but the petrol light does go off as the needle creeps up slowly. The car is parked on a very slight downslope.

Any ideas what I may have disturbed?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, strange, when I pressed the rubber button it felt like there was a definite click, I thought we're in business here...it doesn't click when I press it now.

Still wouldn't start though - curses, managed to run the battery down now. Think I'll drop some more fuel in and give the battery a charge, see how we go.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Was gonna say add more fuel, they're fussy about getting low...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
In my experience disconnecting the battery on the 156 trips the fuel cut off reset switch under the passenger seat. Others say it shouldn't, but I have seen this several times. If you hear a click when you press it, then I would say it definitely tripped. Give the battery a good charge and try starting the car again (remembering to press the fuel reset after reconnecting the battery). I always found it necessary to press the accelerator a couple of times to get the car to go if the reset switch had previously tripped. Again, others will disagree, but my 156 was nothing if not consistent!

I think if your fuel light is going off as the needle climbs then you should have enough fuel, especially since the 156 fuel gauge reads lower when it is facing downhill. It's true that parking some Alfas (e.g. the GT) on a downward slope with the fuel well under the warning line will cause them not to start, but my 156 never did this.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was gonna say add more fuel, they're fussy about getting low...
Yeah, will do. Although it was running perfectly prior to disconnecting the battery and fiddling with the airbag connectors, there was no sign of spluttering. I fear the worst.

If the fuel cut-off had kicked in, what does it take to reset it, is there an obvious button that's popped up, when I prssed it there was little or no movement but I'm positive it clicked.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Yeah, will do. Although it was running perfectly prior to disconnecting the battery and fiddling with the airbag connectors, there was no sign of spluttering. I fear the worst.
Plenty of people have run the tank low, parked up with no issue but had it refuse to start the next morning and all it needed was nore fuel.

If the fuel cut-off had kicked in, what does it take to reset it, is there an obvious button that's popped up, when I prssed it there was little or no movement but I'm positive it clicked.
All it takes to reset is pressing the top in. Nothing else.

Does the fuel pump run when you turn the ignition on?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

All the best

Pub
No the button doesn't pop up. I'm fairly sure the very faint click is heard rather than felt and is a relay turning on somewhere behind the dash. But I could be wrong. It's not obvious when the reset switch has been successfully reset, so just push it again after reconnecting the battery and turn the key!

G

·
0 Posts
Take the battery off and charge it fully..... as Jon has said, all 156's are fussy when low on fuel... At the very least, 10 ltrs is needed before a 156 that has stalled from fuel starvation even considers starting... and thats on a flat surface!
Never ever pay attention to the fuel guage, if I park on an incline I have half a tank of fuel when I know I only have a tenner in it!

A decline will show even less on mine... It all depends on which aspect of rotation the fuel sender/pump is situated and the saddle shape of the tank which doesn't help
As long as you hear the fuel pump charging evn faintly when first turning the ignition on and the relay clicks then it probably down to low fuel:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers all, battery is on change and I'll put some more fuel in, won't be till Monday though, long weekened at work coming up.

Will report back on Monday

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe a red herring, especially as you've tried several times but try turning the key off and trying again a couple of times. Mine doesn't always start, just cranks madly, so I switch off and re-try. Touch wood, it's always worked, something to do with key codes i think.

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well finally got round to it, snow has been refusing to go away and where we cleared the drive it was plied up next to the boy's car. Well, waddaya know, dropped a gallon of petrol in and it started straight away... I mean...come on.

So, now to see if I can cure the red airbag led. Looks like a new ECU is needed, I've tried the yellow connectors in the tray under both front seats and the big orange one on the ECU, are there any other I can check?

All the best

Pub

G

·
0 Posts
Well finally got round to it, snow has been refusing to go away and where we cleared the drive it was plied up next to the boy's car. Well, waddaya know, dropped a gallon of petrol in and it started straight away... I mean...come on.

So, now to see if I can cure the red airbag led. Looks like a new ECU is needed, I've tried the yellow connectors in the tray under both front seats and the big orange one on the ECU, are there any other I can check?

All the best

Pub
Told ya, they can be funny about the fuel levels:rolleyes: Always look for the simplest thing first , it usually is !:lol: glad to see you got it running

You could try getting it onto a code reader and reset them, some do, some don't... Many garages do it for you for a nominal fee of £25-35 not just the main dealer's now....
I very much doubt that the ECU will be needed unless it has been damaged in some way:thumbs:
Good luck mate, let us know what happens:)

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Airbag lights need resetting. They don't go away on their own. 2001 1.8TS is probably going to need Examiner (alfa/fiat), Alfadiag or Fiatecuscan to reset that. It might be late enough to be EOBD and work with a standard code reader, but chances are it won't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts