Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Our 156 2.0 ts, X reg sometimes refuses to start, it turns over perfect but doesnt start but goes first time on a bumpstart, and starts everytime after, usualy lasts a week, any ideas ??
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Only thing I can think of is a weak battery - enough energy to turn the engine over, but leaving insufficient voltage to fire the ignition......maybe....-ish!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
crank sensor is defective

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery is perfect, banner one and its 6 months old.
SEARs- you have come to my aid yet again !! Is the crank sensor a common problem? It does sound like the c/s because it flys over but refuses to start, but odd that it will go pretty easily on a bump, and start every time there after.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Check the tightness of the battery terminals, I don't think it's the crank sensor as ifit was the it wouldn't fire up at all, the other optiono is to check that the other connections on the engine are intact too

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
try starting it with jump leads, that will tell you if the battery is giving enough amps, as if it still dosent start with jump leads then its not a battery related issue :thumbs:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't think it's the crank sensor as ifit was the it wouldn't fire up at all
Funny that, mine did even though the CPS was "gerfuggled".... Saying that though after a while even bumping it wouldnt even work at the end, I think it all depends on just how far gone the CPS is.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There was the same car with the same problem not far from me. Many experts spent many hours trying to find the fault. When I read this posting, I spoke to the people concerned.

The problem on that car turned out to be the fuel pump in the tank not producing enough pressure for the injection system to start the engine. Once the engine was turning quick enough, the pump on the engine took over raising the pressure and the engine ran ok.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Battery is perfect, banner one and its 6 months old.
SEARs- you have come to my aid yet again !! Is the crank sensor a common problem? It does sound like the c/s because it flys over but refuses to start, but odd that it will go pretty easily on a bump, and start every time there after.

my own car was the sane, that why i think its also your problem.

when the car fails to start does the engine management light come on?

the c/s is a very common issue.... its not too bad to replace, remove battery & tray & intake pipe.

5mm allen head will open,

getting the old O-ring out & fitting the new sensor is the most difficult part.

located just under the starter.

BTW Feel free to call me Pat :thumbs:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys, i knows its 100% not the battery, im going to put a crank sensor on it as the are pretty inexpencive and any other time the car runs so well its unreal. Thanks pat :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Try checking the earths to from the battery. Had same problem with my 155 ts. One of the wires which earthed to the engine was gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts