Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all alfa lovers,
Im having the odd Injector Light come up on the dash every now and then. I cleaned the MAF and even had a service yesterday. (Only error that was logged was a O2 sensor, but that could just be because I ran an injector cleaner through the system). Then last night up it pops again and it goes into limp mode.
I switch off. Then turn back on. Revs ok, light is still on, then only a mile down the road & the light turns off.
Should I be ordering a new MAF or lambda sensor if this keeps happening?
& would spraying a whole heap of throttle body cleaner up the pipe with the MAF removed help at all?

Also I'm am so gratelful for this forum. I was able to diagnose and fix my selespeed errors.

Cheers everyone. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
A good idea would be to check your emissions- gas analyzer needed- first before ordering anything. Apart from that, both the O2 sensor and the MAF sensor can be checked with multimeter....

·
Registered
926 Posts
I took out my MAF and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and cotton bud, on the wire element and where the air passes through the channel inside the MAF, problem I had was I used a K&N air filter, as K&N's are coated in oil this coats the MAF and mucks up the airflow readings, I cleaned the throttle butterfly valve as this was coated in muck, soon as I did this and took for a test drive, I noticed a huge difference in acceleration and fuel consumption, I know this may be irrelevant, but this may narrow down the problem, hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, see this is the beauty of forums, real advice and great help.
I happen to have a k&n filter as well. could be the culprit for sure.
will have to sort it soon. today it happened again when i was heading down a busy road, I had a large truck up my a#se. light came on, limp mode, ARRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!! quickly turned car off then on. back to running fine. light goes off after a mile or two. a pants staining moment for sure.
am going to take the whole intake apart this weekend and see whats going on. I hope I havent got a bad batch of fuel from somewhere. I put in a liqui moly fuel system cleaner this afternoon, just in case.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Regarding fuel, I always use Shell V-Power, it's better quality fuel with high octane level, and keeps your engine clean with the cleaning agents to keep injectors and combustion clean and efficient, even though it's £1.39 per Litre in my area, I'm getting 25mpg on town/suburb driving, which is great as the book says 24mpg! That's the suggestion you could try, I Only use V-Power, when I use anything else you can tell the engine doesn't like it :s
But the other suggestion is to take her on a long long drive (motorway or similar high speed cruise) maybe that can clean her through.

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmm.... Answer a question or two then I will give you the probable reason and cure to your problem.

Your injector light comes on and goes into limp mode Yeah...
When it does this does the TS engine feel and sound like its running on 3 cylinders? Y or N
Or
Does it feel as though power is reduced yet still sounds as though its running on 4 cylinders? Y or N

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it seems as though all 4 cylinders are firing. It has happened a few times this week as well. Either whilst stopped at a set of lights, going over a speed hump. Or slowing down to a stop. Wont rev, just idles. Then I turn it off, then on again. Revs are back, drives fine again, light still on, then light turns off after a mile or two.
Very odd, engine runs like a dream otherwise. I cleaned the k&n air filter, MAF, everything that I could imagine that would cause an intake error.
No error codes are showing up at the alfa workshop down the road. We are all a little puzzled.
Could it be a plug coming loose somewhere?
Thanks again for everyones help thus far.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It could be that you have a leak somewhere in the intake system which can confuse the ecu because air is effectively bypassing the MAF.

If you know anyone with a smoke machine (not a mobile disco type) then they are pretty good at showing up leaks. You blow smoke into the system and it then leaves a stain that shows up under UV light where the leak is

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi, all.
a weird turn of events. drove the car today with nothing but a gut feeling that I had to drive with the a/c off to see if it made a difference. well even though it was hot, i endured it. to my surprise the injection light never came on. I would have drove a good 150km both highway and urban. normally the car wouldve gone into limp mode at least twice in that time.
did i just get lucky? or could there be something in the aircon circuit that could cut out the engine and make the injection light/limp mode come on?
would an ecu & throttle reset with the a/c on full be worth a shot?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definitely something to do with the air con. turned it on today and within half an hour, slowing down at an intersection in a carpark down the road the light came on.
hmmm.... what to do

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
o2 sensor error according to the alfa place down the road yesterday. cant afford new sensors at the moment.
done an ecu & throttle reset this morning with the air con on full (for the 15mins of idle). & so far so good.
no injection light and it doesnt stagger in revs when it kicks down gears when approaching the lights.

will update in a weeks time after a few hundred kms, fingers crossed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts