Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy my first Alfa this month. Started looking at 1.8TS 156s but took a drive in a 2.4 JTDm and loved it, will be great for my long commute.

Found a lovely looking car on a 54 plate, put down a deposit but then the indicators failed. The independant dealer changed the indicator relay but then a VDC light came on. They sent it to a main dealer, where it has been for a week while they investigate the problem.

Assuming the main dealer fix the problem, do you think I should walk away anyway? Is it likely to be serious, or a recurring issue? The fact there have been two faults since the test drive is worrying me a little!

It's had 1 service so far and is now due its 24k service. The dealer want me to double my deposit to get an AA inspection. Not sure what I make of the dealer so far (it's a big used car supermarket) but it's a lovely car at a good price so I'll find it hard to give up on it!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Welcome:cool:

My guess is that whilst tarting about with the indicator relay, the dislodged the one that deals with the VDC. If they fix it, take it. As a 54plater, it's still under warranty :D

Cheers,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice :)

If I was confident any problems would get fixed under warranty I'd be pretty relaxed about the whole thing.

My only worry is that the first owner left the 12k service to around 14.5k miles and is now 500 miles overdue for the 24k service. I've phoned Alfa's European customer service centre to see if they'll still honour the warranty but they say that they can't tell me anything about the car until I'm the owner.

Still, as it's in a main dealer for the VDC problem, I've asked them to do a free healthcheck of the vehicle as advertised by Desira. Don't know how detailed it will be, but I'll be much happier if a main dealer doesn't find anything too major!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
It costs less than £60 for a dealer to re-validate the warranty. You can do it yourself via a form in the warranty / service book. Get the indie to do it on your behalf as a condition of sale. BTW. Desira are pretty good :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, sounds good.

And it's nice to hear some good feedback on Desira, they're not far from me so I was considering using them for servicing in future.

I thought Alfa might be a bit funny about the warranty as it hasn't been serviced right on time according to their servicing schedule, but fingers crossed then...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts