Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wipers are getting very clunky and intermittent is always a problem so I'd like to replace them (probably with a better set from a breakers rather than new) - is it a difficult job?

Also can you interchange with any of the other models?

If possible I'd like to go with the newest used ones I can find and wondered if 147 or 159 units would fit?

I have a 03 156 2.4JTD 10v 150bhp Sportwagon

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Assuming you have a facelift interior: Only a facelift 156 set will fit.

You wouldn't want a 147 set anyway as they are very fragile.
159 is a completely different car, so no hope there.

Swapping is easy. Just make sure it is lined up properly. (have one hand on the ignition to stop them the first time you try them... in case they go down instead of up...!!)

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Agree - motor is different on the later cars compared to earlier. I'd suggest operating the mechanism through a cycle before fitting the wiper arm and blades....switching the ignition off won't help much when they are in mid-sweep the wrong way ;)

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
...switching the ignition off won't help much when they are in mid-sweep the wrong way ;)
You need to be quick with the key...!

But yes, run them through a cycle with the arms off and watch which way the splines move.
If the linkage is in the wrong position on the motor they can go the wrong way..... :irked::embarrassed:

·
Registered
186 Posts
The engineering is a bit c***p. The splined shafts are retained with circlips which slowly wear away until the shaft drops down and the wiper blade jams which then burns out the motor. If you're using a second hand mechanism make sure you replace the circlips before fitting. The voice of experience I'm afraid.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After I posted I did look at the Wipex replacement option which I think would get rid of the sloppiness. I carried out a similar replacement on my wife's Punto (she now has a 147) which are known for the connecting arms dropping down and the kit solved it. The motor is OK I think, however the intermittent is a bit of a pain. It'll work in the first position as long as the revs are up and the screen is sufficiently wet to break adhesion and generally work in the rest of the faster positions. I did try to look at it before so I could squirt some electrical contact cleaner into it it, but I got all (I think) the retaining screws out but couldn't move the plastic surround. Not wanting to force anything I gave up - any tips?

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Did you get the two outer screws out - the ones under the plastic plugs? If those and the 4 (?) small torx head screws are removed, the plastic cover will just pull out, though it can be a bit tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts