Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to introduce myself and post a thread. I own a S reg. 156 2.5 V6 with a manual gearbox. The car used to go like the girl-next-door, but now the car will not start. The problem is ignition related. These are the symptoms: Turn ignition key to the on position and all the dash lights up as expected. Turn the ignition key to the AVV position and all you get is a click from the engine bay, and no rotation of the starter motor. It appears to be a bad earth, although I have checked the battery and earth connection to engine. I believe the starter motor or solenoid is at fault. Does anyone know how you get to the starter motor, let alone remove it?! I have also checked maxifuse B5. Are there any other fuses in the circuit? could I be barking up the wrong tree with my prognosis?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Sounds more like a solenoid rather than the starter.

When a starter plays up you tend to get more of a rapid clicking noise when you turn the key

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Not as experienced as these guy's on Alfas, reasonable bit of awareness of some Fiats/Lancias. So here goes, as they are related, if different stables. Last starter problem on the 14 yr old Lancia, turned out to be badly corroded spade terminals on the solenoid.Removed starter motor, gave this a clean up, blowing dust out, freeing brushes. Chopped off old spades, crimped on new,sorted.HPE, dismantled ignition switch, lights on dash dulled in start position, cleaned copper paste residue, mixture of contact copper dust and lubricant, re-assembled,just a little electrical contact lube, job done. Never replaced a starter, or solenoid on any of the Italian cars owned to date.Always a first time I here THEM say, maybe I have been Lucky. Don't know if this will help, but good luckzf PS have encountered sticky Bendix/ Pre-Engagement Fork, cleaned starter motor shaft until Bendix was sliding freely, after removing old clutch dust etc.Sorry, Hello and Welcome. In case you have not, check starter leads,Including Earths, And obviously Battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can the starter motor be removed by your average DIY car mechanic, or do you need special tools and a spare fortnight to complete the task??

·
Registered
378 Posts
No special tools required, just a half decent tool kit and a spare 3 or 4 hours.

1. Get plenum off and remove pipes etc so you can get to the manifold.
2. Remove 2 nuts that hold metal coolant pipe that runs along back of head. Do this so you can get your hands in behind the head easier.
3. Remove the 6 13mm nuts from the manifold. You can get onto them all with a socket but it is very tight. You will swear and scratch your hands.
4. Remove 2 13mm nuts off the bottom of the manifold from underneath.
If you've managed to remove them all without snapping anthing you've done really well.
You should then be able to move the manifold out of the way enough to get to the starter. If you can't you may have to lower the whole of the exhaust front pipe to give more room. It's a pig of a job I'm afraid. Check all other possibles before doing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help, I will try tomorrow (weather permitting!) I Have tried all other avenues, so it must be the solenoid as suggested. I presume the unit can be repaired? if I perform the actions as you describe, and maybe find the problem is a loose connection, I may be able to rectify the problem without removing the starter assembly? I will let you know the outcome. Thank you again.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Think Beardo's Info is really helpful to you, if you have to go the full hands on route. But would try all the connections first, you may be lucky. All the Best.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi 3-4 hours is a bit optimistic for a first timer more like a couple of days. did you say that you checked the main body to gearbox earth/did you take it of and boil it as they tend to have corrosion on them and can cause the same similar problem after cleaning just spray it with WD.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi 3-4 hours is a bit optimistic for a first timer more like a couple of days. did you say that you checked the main body to gearbox earth/did you take it of and boil it as they tend to have corrosion on them and can cause the same similar problem after cleaning just spray it with WD.
A couple of days. Thats a hell of a lot of tea breaks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well working in a garage a couple of hours 3-4 at the most outside never done one before siezed bolts/nuts thats a fair optimistic guess,!!!!

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
If it is the starter I can supply one, but as has been said they rarely fail....and certainly check every electrical connection before embarking on the starter removal process...

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Have you checked that the starter motor isn't turning.....it could be that your belts have snapped?
wow starter motor on a V6 you need a gremlin to get at it or fingers like Golem.... I wish you good luck !

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
My local garage took two hours to remove one of the starter bolts when changing the clutch - and that was with the exhaust off and the front sub-frame dropped. one of the bolts is an utter git and needed a slightly bent spanner to get to with any decent leverage. As mine was an S reg like yours, the bolts had never been undone in 8/9 years and were NOT happy to be moved.

Check the connection to the solenoid and also the earthing strap. You can also use a jump lead as a temporary earthing strap to check if that is the problem. Come to think of it, where is the earthing strap on the V6 engine, I don`t actually know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have isolated the problem to be a dicky connection at the solenoid. If you grab the wiring loom that disappears down the back of the engine and wiggle it about whilst someone is turning the ignition key the engine starts. Can someone tell me if the wire from the ignition is terminated in a spade or screwed terminal at the solenoid? How easy is the solenoid to get to? is it piggy-backed on top of the starter motor? do you still have to remove the exhaust manifold to reach it?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Best to get a selection of terminals, spade and round, chop off old connectors, beyond black wire syndrome if poss. Then replace with new. Beardo or someone will probably know which wire feeds which terminal/connector, sorry I can't remember. PS often spades are more troublesome.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The solenoid is piggybacked onto the starter and connected with spade terminals. 3 of I'm afraid. I have a v6 here with the heads removed and can get a good picture of the solenoid if it would be some help to you. If so PM your moblie number and I'll send you a picture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like an excellent idea, only problem my mobile phone is pre-war I don't think you can even send texts on it!? Could you please post a picture on this thread? Also do you think it possible to reach the 3 spade connectors with everything in situ?? I appreciate your help, the thought of dismantling half the engine bay to re-establish 3 spade connectors is frightening.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts