Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Got a very faint whine when the car is ticking over and gets a little bit louder when you rev the car but seems to go away over 2k revs any ideas? Its a 1.8ts just in case you ask

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Are you 'handy' Chris?

If so it may be worth temporarily removing the aux belt to try & eliminate where it's coming from

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
mine whines, all the ts's i know whine a little, my aux belt and tensioners were done about 3 months ago. do you notice it come back at high revs around 6k?

just a nature of the engine i believe.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure mate but its not the way my engine sounds normally so just worried in case something is on its way out. Im gonna get it checked with a bit of luck 2moro

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Im not sure mate but its not the way my engine sounds normally so just worried in case something is on its way out. Im gonna get it checked with a bit of luck 2moro
yeah good idea. mines always had a little whine, and its still there after the belt and tensioner changes, but if its wasnt there before, get it checked;) good luck:thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Going to see my trusty mechanic Mark 2moro morning so he can hopefully tell me its nothing :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds like a case of worn alternator bearings im afraid. my 1.8 ts was just the same. will not cause damage to engine but will need sorting out eventually!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have had lots of Fiat group cars over the years and a whine was always a sign of the Water pump being on the way out.

My 1.8TS has just started whining when its cold but only for the first few seconds. I figured that the water pump was starting to go.

No proof though!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I have had lots of Fiat group cars over the years and a whine was always a sign of the Water pump being on the way out.

My 1.8TS has just started whining when its cold but only for the first few seconds. I figured that the water pump was starting to go.

No proof though!
replaced that too, so it aint that either:lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Just got it checked and one of the pulleys is fecked
ooh thats not good, surly they would have seen that when changing the belts, or did you only get the aux belt done?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts