Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am still trying to solve the handling problems of my car. After the last wheel alignment, it does not wander left right anymore and the steering wheel is (almost) centered. However, it does not feel as solid and does not stick on the road as it did before all this started (posted previously) and it is very sensitive to road imperfections. When driving with more than 100-120 km/h on roads with not very even surface it feels very unstable, I don't know how to describe it but it makes me hold the steering wheel very very tightly... I am wondering if the wheels are still out of alignment. The settings I got from the last alignment were:

Front Camber: left: -0.30 right: -0.30
Front Caster: left: 3.10 right: 3.30
Front Toe-in: left: 0 right: 0
Rear Camber: left: -1.15 right: -1.15
Rear Toe-in: left: 1mm right 1mm

Does anyone have the factory specifications for the 156 JTS (no sport pack) to compare them with these values?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LaTiNo156:
<strong>Hmmm, I got exactly the same feeling after my last tyre-change (new 235 tyres at the rear).
I wonder if the size causes these 'problems' or that my front wheels were re-aligned too.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have not changed tyres since I only have 7000 km from new. Mine are the factory fitted Firestone 205/55/R16. I think there is something wrong with the alignment that makes the car feel very unstable over uneven road surfaces. Any info on the correct settings might help...

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I am surprised the Toe-in/Toe-out is ZERO.
I would imagine this will lead to it feeling very unstable.
Thing is, I can't remember which way is which for more stability.
I will try and find out.
wink

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
it should have some toe in (i.e. when viewed from the top, the front side of the wheels should be closer together than the rear side of the wheel)

this is because when moving the front wheels have a tendancy to "open up" :confused:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I am sure toe in on a standard 2000 is zero - I had mine done recently & checked the reference book with the tyre fitter.

If you have sportpack the settings are different though. And any non standard wheels, suspension heights & you're on your own.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I am sure toe in on a standard 2000 is zero - I had mine done recently & checked the reference book with the tyre fitter.

If you have sportpack the settings are different though. And any non standard wheels, suspension heights & you're on your own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got from my dealer a print out from their service CD with the toe values of the 2002 156 models. Here is what is there:

Standard 156 (1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.5V6, 1.9JTD, 2.4JTD)
Front toe -1 +/- 1mm
Rear toe +3 +/- 1mm

156 GTA
Front toe -2.4 +/- 1mm
Rear toe +2.6 +/- 1mm

156 models with sport pack
Front toe 0 +/- 1mm
Rear toe +3 +/- 1mm

Mine is standard 2.0 JTS and has front toe 0 (instead of -1 but still within spec) and rear toe +1 (instead of +3). Does someone know if this can explain that the car does not feel very stable?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
MP;

I would recommend setting the front toe to -1. Front wheel drive cars tend to increase the toe during acceleration, so if you set it at -1 this will even out the wheels trying to increase toe. Furthermore, setting toe to zero degrees is not a good idea, a little toe in or out will make the wheels more stable. If the toe is set to zero the wheels will act erratic trying to go to either positive or negative toe. If you set the toe a tad apart from zero will cause the wheels to rest in that position. Hope I made myself clear :confused:

The rest of the measurements looks okay. The small variations shouldn't cause any noticeable nisbehavior.

Cheers

Hoygaard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Hoygaard:
<strong>MP;

I would recommend setting the front toe to -1. Front wheel drive cars tend to increase the toe during acceleration, so if you set it at -1 this will even out the wheels trying to increase toe. Furthermore, setting toe to zero degrees is not a good idea, a little toe in or out will make the wheels more stable. If the toe is set to zero the wheels will act erratic trying to go to either positive or negative toe. If you set the toe a tad apart from zero will cause the wheels to rest in that position. Hope I made myself clear :confused:

The rest of the measurements looks okay. The small variations shouldn't cause any noticeable nisbehavior.

Cheers

Hoygaard</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Hoygaard, that's clear enough, I will try to get it done but first I want to make a small search and get some recommendations on local wheel alignment places. I don't want to end up with wheels completely out of specs wink

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I've been told by a local tyre dealer that only Alfa Romeo dealers can do the wheel alignment on a 156?

True or bull?

Gary

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by gazza82:
I've been told by a local tyre dealer that only Alfa Romeo dealers can do the wheel alignment on a 156?

True or bull?<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Gary,
"Bulls**t"

The only adjustments available on the 156 are front & rear toe.
Easily adjusted by someone that knows what they are doing (obviously not your local tyre dealer :rolleyes: )
The rear toe is adjusted using "cambolts" on the inner end of the rear links.
FYI front wheel drive race cars are setup with rear wheel toe out to make them inherently unstable and provoke oversteer.
NOT a setup you want on a road car, because you will crash. eek!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MP:
Mine is standard 2.0 JTS and has front toe 0 (instead of -1 but still within spec) and rear toe +1 (instead of +3). Does someone know if this can explain that the car does not feel very stable?<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi MP,
having less rear toe-in will make the car feal less stable.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by gazza82:
<strong>I've been told by a local tyre dealer that only Alfa Romeo dealers can do the wheel alignment on a 156?

True or bull?

Gary</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some Alfa alloys (Speedline ones) don't have a lip to locate the gauges on. Some Subarus have the same problem. Maybe this was what he was having a wobble about.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hi guys,

I am still trying to solve the handling problems of my car. After the last wheel alignment, it does not wander left right anymore and the steering wheel is (almost) centered. However, it does not feel as solid and does not stick on the road as it did before all this started (posted previously) and it is very sensitive to road imperfections. When driving with more than 100-120 km/h on roads with not very even surface it feels very unstable, I don't know how to describe it but it makes me hold the steering wheel very very tightly... I am wondering if the wheels are still out of alignment. The settings I got from the last alignment were:

Front Camber: left: -0.30 right: -0.30
Front Caster: left: 3.10 right: 3.30
Front Toe-in: left: 0 right: 0
Rear Camber: left: -1.15 right: -1.15
Rear Toe-in: left: 1mm right 1mm

Does anyone have the factory specifications for the 156 JTS (no sport pack) to compare them with these values?
I'm having the SAME driving experience after getting new tires (Petlas Snowmaster W651)!
But I have not done a wheel alignment yet.
The car feels unstable as if the tires are very soft!
What tires were you using when you started having your problem and what do tire reviews say about them? In my case many tire reviews mention the driving characteristics i'm having! :vomit:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
You may find this article explaining suspension geometry useful.

I find when I play racing games it matters quite a bit - Obviously i can mess with extremes on games but it gave me a basic understanding of how certain extremes effect handling.

Caster, Camber, Toe

Same applies in the real world but without danger obviously.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
I'm having the SAME driving experience after getting new tires (Petlas Snowmaster W651)!
But I have not done a wheel alignment yet.
The car feels unstable as if the tires are very soft!
Have you checked the pressures?
and remembered to add the extra required for winter tyres.

*** This is a 10-year old thread and the user you've quoted hasn't been on for 7-years.***

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys! Sorry for using an old post but i am really confused.
The alignment of my car is off. The steering wheel is not centralised, and it is obvious that the front wheels are not aligned.
In addition, the rear tyres have an external thin black ring (if that makes sence).
It is about time to change tyres and to do a proper 4 wheel alignment.
The thing is that the car is lowered, and it is equipped with a strut bar, and it has tyres 225/45/17 (previous owners).
Can i go with the official sport kit numbers?
The manual suggests (2.5 v6 cf3 veloce 2001):
Front
Camber -1 degs 9' +/- 20'
caster 4 degs 3' +/- 30'
Toe in -2.05 +/- 1mm

Rear
camber 1 degrees 27' +/- 20'
toe in 3.14 +/- 1mm

I am thinking to go to National Tyres 4 wheel alignment.

Any suggestions/ recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts