Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
It is also a shame that they didn't make the 3.2 159 just rear wheel drive instead of 4WD.

It would have saved weight, helped fuel economy and make the car better to drive in most instances.
So true

G

·
0 Posts
Well, I'm an unashamed 156 bigot so it may come as no surprise that I would never change the GTA for a 159. You would expect the 159 to be a "better" car than the 156 as it is newer, but the 156 has some things the 159 will never have - racing heritage (how many touring car championships has the 159 won?), great Alfa engines including the Busso V6 (yes, I know the GM based engine isn't as bad as everyone thinks, but....), styling touches that echo the great Alfas of old (like the vents round the shield in the front bumper).

If we buy Alfas with our heads, the 159 wins everytime. But if we buy with our hearts, then...........?

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I don't feel the need to chop my car in for anything newer but if I had to buy another sensible FWD car the 159 would probably be my choice, they are a cool car :cool: Much, much cooler that the 156 imo

Their biggest problem is that the (E39) M5/ Jaguar S-Type R can be had for similar money (I don't drive much so running costs wouldn't be an issue).

V

·
0 Posts
Well, I'm an unashamed 156 bigot so it may come as no surprise that I would never change the GTA for a 159. You would expect the 159 to be a "better" car than the 156 as it is newer, but the 156 has some things the 159 will never have - racing heritage (how many touring car championships has the 159 won?), great Alfa engines including the Busso V6 (yes, I know the GM based engine isn't as bad as everyone thinks, but....), styling touches that echo the great Alfas of old (like the vents round the shield in the front bumper).

If we buy Alfas with our heads, the 159 wins everytime. But if we buy with our hearts, then...........?

Cheers,

Nigel

good post :thumbs:

·
Registered
548 Posts

Cheers,

Nigel
Yeah but you got the GTA engine. Even if the 159 could make you breakfast, lunch and dinner it would be the inferior car simply for the lack of the GTA engine.
:cheese:
On topic: I own a 156 and i drove the 159 with the dreadful 2.2 engine. While i did not like the 159 much i wont start bashing it here simply because i think they are not comparable. While the 159 looks like a bigger 156 it is a whole different car imo.
If you are looking for a nice looking comfortable family car the 159 is a great choice. The 156 (at least as i know it as veloce) has a harsh ride, is a lot smaller and not as well built but the driving experience is a whole different one. Better if you like a bit of a sporting feel but a lot worse if you want a comfy tourer. In my opinion they didn`t just make the 159 bigger but switched the target group.
I haven`t driven a 159 Tbi veloce yet though so maybe that one has that sporty feel.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You need to try a V6. If you think the TS is amazing, you'll think a V6 is out of this world, especially the GTA engine. Its a shame they never made a 159 to match the 156 GTA in performance, I guess it would need to be supercharged or turbo'd or maybe a V8.
One day I will.:thumbs:

I still yearn for a GTA, 156 or 147. Maybe when I'm a bit richer i'll have one as a weekend car.

Hmmm, 1 red 156 GTA just for thrashing around on the weekend.:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I own an Alfa 156 2.0ts, recently i had the chance to drive a 159 2.4 jtdm Auto whilst my car was in for some insurance repairs, i just thought i would share my comparison of these cars.

Styling/looks: When the 159 was dropped off my first thought was wow, what a stunning car. I have always thought they are great looking and this one looked great in black. However after 2 weeks with the car, although i still think they are a very pretty car i started to noticed its a little bloated and over-sized from certain angles. This view was reinforced when i picked my 156 up again, it looked great having just been cleaned and polished and with the combination of veloce pack, 16" teledials and recently polished afla grey paint work i have decided i prefer the looks of my car. Having said that a "base" spec 159 does, IMO, look better then a base spec 156.

Performance: The 2.4l, 200bhp diesel engince in the 159 has some serious shove from low down the rev range, and the first few times i put my foot down i was very surprised at how quick it felt, and how much quicker it felt comapred to 150bhp 156. Bad points were that when you put your foot down you have to wait for the autobox to have a think about things before you accelerate, and for spirited driving any petrol engine (especially the revvy TS) is more fun. So on balance for driving enjoyment, the 156 beats the 159, but for overtaking ability and wafting the 159 was great. Although i will add as a side note the economy was, for a diesel, rubbish in the 159, i think i averaged about 31mpg, about the same or slightly worse then my 156.

Handling and ride: This is where the 156 really beats the 159 in my opinion. Althought the 159 never felt unbalanced or wobbly the 156 feels a millions times better, with nicely weighted steering with plenty of feel, compared to the 159 which felt over assisted and sluggish. Ride quality is pretty much the opposite though, whilst the 159 soaks up bumps pretty well, the 156 (with veloce pack) really lets you know when you have driven over a pothole or drain cover. However personally i would take hard ride/good handling over comfortable ride/numb handling anyday!

Interior: This is really a game of two halfs, whilst the 159 interior seemed better built and with clearer dash layout and more toys, the 156 just feels like a nicer, more special place to be. The seats in the 156 were more comfortable too (and look much better in tan leather :) )

So in conclusion, despite me thinking i was going to much prefer the 159 and think the 156 felt old and slow after driving it, my feelings are in fact almost the opposite! The 156 feels much more special and enjoyable to drive and having a responsive, revvy petrol engine is far more enjoyable then the diesel in the 159. The one thing i would swap is the out right turn of speed from the 159, looks like i need the V6 then...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts