Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie and have not, as yet, bought my 156 selespeed - cos I'm *scared*... So many horror stories, so totally confused. Any info that I could get would be hugely appreciated. Be nice to the new girl! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for those comforting words :D I, daftly, thought it would be a great idea to pass my test in an automatic many years ago and have, therefore, never gone down the manual road. :eek: Anyways, the 156 I'm seeing in 3 hours is a 2L with a selespeed gearbox. This is ok for non-manual people to drive, right? I have to say, I *love* the look of the 156 - but I keep hearing that the selespeed is a bad move. Expensive, not reliable etc... What say you, Phill 155? :)

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
i say............... get a 155:lol: :lol: :D :D i dont know much about the 156 but i always say the more goodies you have in a car the more problems you are gonna get.

i reckon you should get a 147 myself;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Welcome to AO Vixen, and don't be scared. They don't bite all the time and there are recorded incedences of even 155's being nice to their owner's :p

Phil - the lady want's a 156 - a 156 she shall have. Mind you as an ex 155 V6 owner i understand entirely!!:D :D

The GTA selespeed's are supposedly tougher - or is that just an excuse to get a GTA and induct you along the lines of the soul corrupting Arese V6?? (You will come to understand :D )

Either that or pass you're manual test - then the real Alfa world awaits!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

W

·
0 Posts
Vixen VS said:
Thanks for those comforting words :D I, daftly, thought it would be a great idea to pass my test in an automatic many years ago and have, therefore, never gone down the manual road. :eek: Anyways, the 156 I'm seeing in 3 hours is a 2L with a selespeed gearbox. This is ok for non-manual people to drive, right? I have to say, I *love* the look of the 156 - but I keep hearing that the selespeed is a bad move. Expensive, not reliable etc... What say you, Phill 155? :)
Welcome...can I suggest you check with your insurers, the Selespeed system controls a manual gearbox. Whilst it drives like an auto you never know with some insurers!!!

wrinx

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Hi Vixen. Welcome to AO. :)

Wrinx, Isn't there a traditional automatic gearbox available too? Q-System? :confused:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Vixen VS said:
I'm a newbie and have not, as yet, bought my 156 selespeed - cos I'm *scared*... So many horror stories, so totally confused. Any info that I could get would be hugely appreciated. Be nice to the new girl! :)
Hi Vixen Vs and welcome to AO :)

Don't be scared - I did the swich from a Celica to an Alfa and I haven't looked back. I loved my Celica, especially the way it stuck to the road and you could throw it about like a go kart. But the Alfa engines are much more refined and the cars just have that feeling of class and exclusivity that the Celica just lacked. Honestly, once you've got the Alfa you'll be as hooked as the rest of us ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Roswell said:
Hi Vixen. Welcome to AO. :)

Wrinx, Isn't there a traditional automatic gearbox available too? Q-System? :confused:
There is indeed, 4-speed mated to the 2.5V6.

wrinx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts