Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I need some advice please.
I am looking at above car reg Jan 2000 with a view to buying an Italian car but have no mechanical knowledge
Is there any aspect I should be wary of with this type of vehicle such as very expensive maintenance/replacements etc?
This may seem a stupid question but can the front no. plate be repositioned to the front centre ? On the vehicle in question it is on the passenger side of the grille which (I feel) does nothing for the appearance of the car making it look "unbalanced." I do not know if this brings in any legal compliance issues etc
Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
the position of the number (if you live in England at least) is fine, no legal implication, some small tips, (and there might be a few more) is to look out for suspenion, upper and lower wishbones, variator - allthough I heard this might of been fixed on year 2k cars, you can tell when you start the car up and sounds like a diesel, and make sure the Cam-belts been done !! including tentioners, ummm, it should have less issues than your peugeot.

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
If you move the number plate to the centre it is within Alfa Romeo's legal rights to repossess the without compensating you in any way. FACT!!*

* Not actually true. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
in fact, the local youth around these parts offset the plates on their filler filled 'hot' hatches to try and look a bit Alfa like... doesnt work!

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
well they failed to do that too, must seek out some boy racers tonight and show em what a real engine can do! bliming 'big exhaust' Nova chavs

M

·
0 Posts
welcome to AO dude......

lots of 156's out there so you can afford to be picky....

make sure your future purchase has a full service history from either a main dealer or reputable indie...

a cambelt/tensioner change needs to take place every 36k or 3 years, which ever is sooner....AN ABSOLUTE MUST

make sure it has both sets of keys, they are expensive to get cut and re-programmed...

check the dipstick for the oil level, it should always be up to the max line and whilst you are there enquire what oil has been used...ideally a 10w 40w semi synthetic

a well maintained Alfa is as reliable, if not more so, than many modern cars and which you will never get bored off...

all the best

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all.
Thank you very much for your advice and information - all very helpful and interesting.
I am particularly grateful for info re cambelt/tensioner replacement requirements as this is an issue with another car I am looking at (Fiat Coupe.)
Can anyone tell me how much cambelt replacement is likely to cost please?
Thanks again.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts