Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice needed

Recently bought a 156 V6 so ended up with 3 on the drive, my T plate was left and I was turning her over with no problems. Left her over Xmas for 3 days and now battery gives the ooomph and is fully charged but car won't start.

:cry:

Pain in the arse as was looking to shift her for a few hundred quid but cant sell as is and added insurance if this drags means I may as well strip and/or scrap.

Planning to plug her into alfa diag later but had problems with connection last time so not hopeful this will give me the answer.

Any ideas of where to start would be much appreciated, gone are the days of just cleaning plugs & points!!!

Regs

Ade

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Basics:
Is the fuel pump running?
Is there enough Petrol in the tank?
Does the "CODE" light go out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David

1/4 tank of fuel and code light goes out, no other warning light

Charged battery which displayed as full after one hour and on first attempt yesterday sounded as if was going to start but now I just get the 'whirr' with no catch (if that makes sense).

How can I tell if fuel pump is running, have an old Jag and I can hear that kick into life but can't say I've noticed on the Alfa.

Regs

Ade

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
How can I tell if fuel pump is running, have an old Jag and I can hear that kick into life but can't say I've noticed on the Alfa.
You should be able to hear it.
When you turn the ignition on it will run until the system is up to pressure.

G

·
0 Posts
Parked on an incline by any chance?

Put an extra 10 litres of fuel in at least, reset the fuel cut off solenoid switch under the seat and watch her start;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys

No not on an incline, on the flat but after this mornings attempts I think the battery is goosed, over three years old and I was starting her but not running her so draining but not charging on journeys.

Anyone know where to get the best price on a battery?

Also looking at the position of the battery the air intake and a small box of relays needs to come off, is this correct or is there more joy to take off just to change the battery?

Regs

Ade

·
Registered
30,081 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a real pain to be fair Dave

The charger I have is fairly modern, not the 8 inch box types that I used years ago, would this still be considered a trickle charger, its about the size of one of the jump start boxes.

Excuse the ignorance but this is like the one I have;

Halfords | Halfords Fully Automatic Battery Charger

What do you mean by 'a proper charge'

Ade

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
One like that will be ok.
I have a 10A Halfords charger that I got about 20-years ago :lol:
I don't like leaving mine charging unattended, so I charge it during the day and turn it off when I go to bed.
For a FULL charge it needs almost two days like that with it on "High" for most of it.

Using a test meter, monitor the terminal voltage every hour (write it down). It will be fully charged when the voltage hasn't rissen in the last hour.

By "tiny trickle-charger" I mean the ones about the size of a matchbox. They are fine for keeping a fully charged battery charged when not in use, but not for bringing a battery back from fully flat.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Parked on an incline by any chance?

Put an extra 10 litres of fuel in at least, reset the fuel cut off solenoid switch under the seat and watch her start;)

What he said :thumbs: Push the fuel cut off reset switch which is located under the front passenger seat. If you have removed the battery this will almost certainly have tripped. You may also find it necessary to hold your foot on the accelerator while turning the engine over.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Push the fuel cut off reset switch which is located under the front passenger seat. If you have removed the battery this will almost certainly have tripped.
It is an inertia switch.
Removing the battery won't trip it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have heard that changing battery causes problems very often,is it a sane idea to change it with the engine running?one just needs someone to help to hold + - clips whilst he swaps the batteries

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
I have heard that changing battery causes problems very often,is it a sane idea to change it with the engine running?one just needs someone to help to hold + - clips whilst he swaps the batteries
No, that is a very silly idea...

Changing a battery won't cause problems.

·
Registered
387 Posts
but I have read few posts here stating that some problems(like ecu,dash lights and so on)started after changing batteries,as when changing it you take the old one out and the power is gone in car until you put new one back,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys

Cheers for the ideas, not to concerned about the removing + problems as it can't wreck to much havoc.

Fuel reset has been pushed so reckon battery is issue.

Have though about removing all the inners and engine bay sell ons then scraping the carcass but its been such a good reliable car. What would you guys do under the circumstances as I think I'll get about £650 for her as she has 116000 but tax and MOT until September.

The way things are it could end up costing £200 in extra insurance etc and my time

Be interested to know your thoughts,

Regs

Ade

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
but I have read few posts here stating that some problems(like ecu,dash lights and so on)started after changing batteries,as when changing it you take the old one out and the power is gone in car until you put new one back,
The issues you are talking about are usually after someone has tried to jump-start the car, not due to changing the battery.

Removing and replacing a battery will not cause a problem.
Remembering to always remove the -ve first and replace the -ve last.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Guys

Cheers for the ideas, not to concerned about the removing + problems as it can't wreck to much havoc.

Fuel reset has been pushed so reckon battery is issue.

Have though about removing all the inners and engine bay sell ons then scraping the carcass but its been such a good reliable car. What would you guys do under the circumstances as I think I'll get about £650 for her as she has 116000 but tax and MOT until September.

The way things are it could end up costing £200 in extra insurance etc and my time

Be interested to know your thoughts,

Regs

Ade
Removing and charging the battery will cost nothing.
(ok, there is a cost attached to the socket you plug your charger in to, but we'll ignore that for now!)
Once charged and refitted hopefully you will have a running car and you can think on from there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also have some ideas what to do,I have already suffered one broken alfa and was fixing it for weeks,
I just do not understand some English abbreviations that's all
thanks any way for explaining what it was

1 - 20 of 23 Posts