Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tested my GTi against my dad and uncle's 156 V6's...they both have cats removed and I beat them convincingly...

My software was off when the car went in for the clutch, when I got it back a couple days ago, I came across a blueish 156 V6 Station wagon...I smiled with the guy to commend his Alfa, it had the Zender kit on but he had 16" teledials...

Here's the interesting part, we pulled away in 2nd and he stays with, 3rd he stays with, 4th he stays with, 5th and well past 190 I start etching infront and stay there and we stop, we continued to push each other all the way along the M2 to N3 and then N17 where we both turned off for Boksburg...in all the races from 80-190 that thing sits on my ass like no ones business...it sounds like its rev range is a bit long...

Must have been a 3.0l???Because on the same night I was sitting on a Lumina's ass from 2nd to 4th, so the GTi was/is stock.

Anyone know that car? I need to get my software back asap, I can't be sitting with 156 station wagons with 2.5 on the boot!

Lol!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must get me a 3.2 GTV next year...just a couple more months!!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Blue Sportwagon’s with 2.5 on the back will still pull you just wait a week or two. :lol:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol...I REALLY want to go to the run...that date does not sound right though.

That 3.0l SW with the 18's??? LOL...I wish it will beat me, lol.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
That’s the old silver one that will soon be a turbo so n think the GTI will probably need all the mapping available to keep up once it is completed next year.;)
I am referring to the blue one that should be running shortly it will be fitted with a completely OE Busso motor.:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok...are you going to the run??? I'll try hella hard to make it, if you come and I'm there plssssss bring a turbo monster or the yellow:vomit: GTV???

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:lol:
I am afraid I will not make it.
Especially not with the Yellow :vomit: GTV since she are undergoing surgery. Apparently developed Asthma so we have to rectify it.
You can come and visit us at the shop on Saturday then you can see what’s happening with all the cars.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Was this up here in Gauteng?
A 156 with 3.0 should be able to get away from your Gti without software, especially at higher speed.

When I had the Golf 5 Gti (BWA spec) I had quite a few races against N2O's 156 2.5,
it wasn't much of a dice. The Gti is a lot faster than the 2.5 up here in Gauteng.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ja up in Gauteng...I know a 3.0 will absolutely kill the stock BWA GTi...but I ran away from it at high speed, but through the gears that thing was on my arse...a 2.5 will not sit like that on the GTI's arse...something amiss about that race, my car was stock standard, no boost leaks etc...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Just except it the Alfa was faster.
No more excuses needed.:lol:
Not only GTI’s can be upgraded.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have been in a 156 2.5 with decat, exhaust, bmc filter and remap with reve limiter raised, that thing was seriously quick.
Keep in mind that these engines are a little old school and designed to fit in with emission regulations,
so the only way to get them to comply with emission regulations is to suffocate the engine.
... so ... once you derestrict them it makes a big difference!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Changing to the larger 3.? inlet runners also release a couple of hp and help a lot with response.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I was happy that he sat with me, but I just wanted confirmation that that was no standard 2.5 lol, I love modded alfa's, such a dime a dozen!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I think it is safe to say that it was improved even if it only had a pipe and remap done to it I agree the GTI should be a bit faster that a 2.5 up here.

But I have driven oe Alfas that just performs a lot better than other for no apparent reason so who knows. :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Down at the coast my 98 156 v6 have stayed with a few Golf 5 GTis at on the highway (closed roads obviously officer ;) ) , but then again we saw at the last dyno just how std these "Cape Town stock" GTi's are :p I have convincingly humiliated a Golf 4 GTi-R (132kW std) (and a BMW E90 325i recently) near Stellenbosch - but that is no achievement as my v6 is leke strong @ 151kW and that gives 111kW/ton. :rolleyes: I let the Golf have a proper head start and caught up so quickly I passed it on the left-hand side in the stretch of a few car lengths and I could see he was gunning it.:D

Once picked up a Focus ST on an open stretch near Worcester @ 140kph. There was nowhere to pass,but he sat on my ass like madman, so I kindly let him pass as soon as I could. Once he was in front I could see he was nailing it - I dropped a gear and followed suit 10 car lengths behind. The ST had a huge tailpipe and sounded a bit louder than std. At 200kmh I had to brake cause I was gaining on him too much...:thumbs:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts