Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As last thread, I'm looking at buying a 156 in the future and Im trying to get as much info about the car as possible, I was looking at either a GTA or the 2.5 V6. I think the 2.5 V6 would be more what I'm looking for at first, so Id like to know what differences there were between the different 2.5 V6 models, S2? S3? Lusso? Veloce? And what improvements there were throughout the life of the 156? Is there any kind of traction control, just out of interest? Does the 156 suffer from rust in any places? I'm nearly convinced to get rid of my beloved Calibra, I'm just alittle worryed about reliability? Also does the V6 come with Cruise control?

D

·
0 Posts
The early model Sport Pack (SP's) came with 190BHP and ZERO traction control. You have to make up your own traction control sadly, :lol:

The only rust the 156 will ever suffer from is along the top edge of the windscreen, this is because the roof was never fully galvanized unlike the rest of the car. Gone are the days mate where you see an Alfa rot away from beneath your feet.

The early models were ALL rated in SP ratings. The SP1 came with black speedo dials, 16" Tele wheels, uprated suspension, and standard cloth seats. The SP2 came with everything the SP1 came with but it had Recaro sports seats which look great. (They are always gray and are identical to the seats found in certain GT's only in fabric instead of leather.) The SP3 came with everything the SP1 came with only it had leather MOMO seats instead.

You can tell a non-SP model a mile off as it won't have the sideskirts, failing that it won't have 16" tele dial wheels it'll only have 15" flat faced pepper pot looking wheels, failing that it WILL have a white speedo backing instead of black. But that's not to knock the non-SP's, ALOT of them came with MOMO leather as it was an option most people took at the dealship. But the non-SP's came with crapper suspension though, but 156 V6's aren't superb handling anyway so if you are keeping one for a long while it's a good investment to improve the suspension anyway.

The Veloce and Lusso models took over from the SP series in about 2000+ I think, Lusso is the sport version and Veloce is the standard version.

But, as long as it has black speedo dials and 16" wheels, you'll have a Sport series 156, :D

Reliability really isn't that big a deal any more either I'd say, I've had 3 156's and they've all been terrific.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
Theres 'Lusso' - luxury, normally has wood interior, probably leather
'turismo' = basic, but some were specced up rather well,
the sport edition came under a variety of names, either 'Veloce', or SportPack. A car would be described as SP1, SP2 or SP3, SP1 was sportpack with cloth seats, sp2 = cloth recaros, sp3 = leather. Most didn't come with cruise control, this would be very rare on a 156 until the 2002 mild facelift. Sportpack also consists of 20mm lower suspension, different shocks (still poor, not as poor as standard though), black dials, and a carbon fibre look dash, with leather steering wheel and gearknob.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys guys, makes much more sense now! I had a 2000 brochure with Veloce and Lusso spec and a price list with specs with sp1,2,3. I was a bit confused! I know which Im looking for now, a SP3 or Veloce with leather!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing, Ive been looking at the GTA section and seen problems with the diff, are there problems with the gearboxes on any other of the 156's or is it just the GTA? Id also like to make the most of the V6 engine note, whats the best way to do this and whats available? Induction or exhaust?

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
156 V6 and 156 GTA share the same gearbox and diff. Ratios are slightly longer in the GTA.

However, the problem isn't nearly as apparent in the 156 V6. That being said, the 156 GTA fairs well compared to the 147 GTA and GT 3.2, as these cars both have traction control which can apparently stress the diff.

But ideally you want to change the diff for the Q2 limited slip differential as soon as you buy the car. You can get this done for as little as £480 supplied and fitted (http://www.autolusso.co.uk/alfa_tuning_q2.htm)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This has probably been posted before, as many of my other questions, but I keep hearing about having all the keys? What colours and how many keys should there be with a car?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
the keys are not a problem as long as it comes with the code card, in the pack of owners manuals there should be a credit card sized peice of plastic with a code on it for ordering new keys, the older cars have a red key with a single button and the newer cars come with a black folding key with door botton and boot release button

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
UK cars came only with 2 red/black keys depending on the cars age.. If it has a code card it was a euro import. ;)
To get new keys you will have to go to Alfa

They can and do rust in the floor, usually under the rear seat area as some cars had poor sealing in the seams which allows water in under the rear carpets.

Other areas to check are the front chassis spars, the parts inside the wheel arches that are not covered with the liners and the parts in front of the front arches that the under tray bolts into. These are easy to replace though.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
ive had 2 156's both uk models 1998 and 2000 and both had code cards, i assumed that it was normal, maybe you can request them/buy them from alfa for getting future keys made?

2000 had a black key with two buttons and flip blade 1998 has red key single button (i got 4 with the car as previous owner had extra spares made :D )

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, what everybody else had? And if someone has lost a key or needed new keys, what have they needed to get them from alfa? I know if I need new keys from vauxhall for my immobilizer chip to work I need a code card, which should come with the car. Also what else do you need this special card/key for? Ive heard of other work other than new keys needing this key/card?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
When buying a new key, you can request the card.

Costs about 2 Quid. (Roughy, based on exchange)
The key was 80 Quid.

D

·
0 Posts
I think the key thing is being made a mountain of when in reality it's more of a mole hill. As long as you A) have at least 2 keys (The 156's didn't come with master keys so any 2 that work will do) and a Key Code Card (Which all 156's came with as far as I'm aware) then you will be fine mate.

My 156 V6 only came with 1 key and the code card. The only reason I like having 2 keys is in case I leave the key in and the car decides to lock itself, :lol:

My Sportwagon however comes with 2 keys and a card.

The 2001 156's and on came with black keys which had flip-out key sections and a button for releasing the boot. Sanazzy. :cool:

:lol:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the explinations! Just dont want to get caught out and being new to Alfas, it looks easy to be caught out!

D

·
0 Posts
It is mate yeah if you don't have all the correct information, but when it comes to Alfa's the keys are the least of your worries, :lol:

As long as you get a decent looking car with FSH, recent cambelt change, that drives well and you like then you're sorted.

I've just bought a 2001 Sportwagon 156 1.8 TS, it has FSH and only 68,000 miles on the clock. I bought it for £300. Why? Because although they've had it serviced on time they've neglected it and let the oil run out, and now the bonnet release won't work so they wanted rid of it. Fair enough though, I just wanted the 4 new Goodyears he put on it, :lol: The car came for free, :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is mate yeah if you don't have all the correct information, but when it comes to Alfa's the keys are the least of your worries, :lol:

As long as you get a decent looking car with FSH, recent cambelt change, that drives well and you like then you're sorted.

I've just bought a 2001 Sportwagon 156 1.8 TS, it has FSH and only 68,000 miles on the clock. I bought it for £300. Why? Because although they've had it serviced on time they've neglected it and let the oil run out, and now the bonnet release won't work so they wanted rid of it. Fair enough though, I just wanted the 4 new Goodyears he put on it, :lol: The car came for free, :D
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: Cant believe how cheap some of these cars are! I wont buy one thats too cheap, but for 2k I hope to get a nice V6 manual with red or tan or cream leather, 80k or below and before the tax went sky high. Dont think it'll be too dificult! Need to save up first then sell my nice Calibra!
Had a look around the tinternet and found 156net, had some downloads with GTA sounds on it. Do they really sound that good?! And does the 2.5 sound the same, nearly wet meself when I heard it!:eek:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much are you after for the Cally mate?
Im not sure at the moment, its a 95 16v DTM Limited Edition with special dtm pattern cloth trim, aircon, trip computer with some tasty mods (V6 brakes, Lexmaul stainless manifold and Remus backbox) with a load of irmscher parts added! Needless to say, its not your average crappy Cally! Its near mint (two tiny dings on whole body). Has clear lens headlights (not angeleyes) with 6k HIDs in. Personally I think it looks awesome! Just fancy a change and the sound of a nice V6 after having it for over 3 years now! Its used as a show car with the Vauxhall Sports Car Club and has been for most of its life!
Why you want to make me an offer?:lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts