Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after a bit of advice...
I've had my Alfa 156 V6 Sportwagon for about 5 years and have been extremely happy with it. I love the drive and it's also a perfect size for me - can get lots in the back for work/dogs/weekends etc.

Last week I had a small crash but enough damage for the insurers to write it off. My alfa garage now has it and can do the repair works for £1700 - which is much better - although seeing as the cars aren't worth that much now is it worth it? Have been looking around on autotrader and I could probably pick up something for about the same price, although maybe not the V6. And, as my garage pointed out I would probably miss power if I was to go down. It's got a high mileage (125,000) and I have spent quite a bit over the years.

So is it worth repairing? And if not then what should I buy next?

Any thoughts much appreicated, thanks.

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
I'm after a bit of advice...
I've had my Alfa 156 V6 Sportwagon for about 5 years and have been extremely happy with it. I love the drive and it's also a perfect size for me - can get lots in the back for work/dogs/weekends etc.

Last week I had a small crash but enough damage for the insurers to write it off. My alfa garage now has it and can do the repair works for £1700 - which is much better - although seeing as the cars aren't worth that much now is it worth it? Have been looking around on autotrader and I could probably pick up something for about the same price, although maybe not the V6. And, as my garage pointed out I would probably miss power if I was to go down. It's got a high mileage (125,000) and I have spent quite a bit over the years.

So is it worth repairing? And if not then what should I buy next?

Any thoughts much appreicated, thanks.
Break it for spares on ebay (or if you can't be bothered sell it to a scrappy - you'll get £100+) and buy similar car with lower mileage. I've seen V6 SWs on auto trader for that sort of money.
In fact, I just checked there's a 2001 with 51k on the clock for £1295 at the minute.

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
I'd fix it... but it depends what's pranged.

You're always better off with the devil you know.. you have new bits on it and you know it'll last. 125k is not that much on the v6 donkey. :thumbs:

Having said that, if you need a lot of welding and cutting, then it may be better to break it. The rear quarter panel is the one to avoid, since it's a bit of a mo-fo to fix properly.

Everything else.. wings, doors etc. are easy-peasy. Find any parts yourself off the 'bay and just get the menders to straighten it and then spray it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Personally i would not repair it as you will never be sure whether the car will be ok afterwards,plus you can get a good low mileage sw for that money even a diesel with a map and more torque!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
This all comes down to head vs heart really. If you listen to your head then really it's a no-brainer, you can get a new one of similar or better spec and mileage for considerably less than £1700. But then as others have said you never know what work the new one will need further down the road. Obviously it's a false economy if you spend a grand on a new car but then find it needs another grand's worth of wishbones and cambelts in the next 12 months..

Of coruse you love the car you've got and know every bit of its history and niggles... but then will it ever be right again if it's been pranged, and will bodywork repairs and a blemished insurance history (having been written off) affect its resale value?

I think if I was in your position I'd take the insurance payout, assuming it's reasonable, and go out and find a replacement - but when it comes down to it I can't be sure how I'd actually act... :(

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
The fella "had a small crash" so I'm thinking a fender-bender. Nose, wing, bonnet and front valance etc.

If you can find these bolt-on parts down at the bone-yard, then whip off the old ones, put on the new ones and give it a blow job.

Robert's your mother's brother! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
As others have indicated, difficult to tell without knowing just how much damage and whether its bolt-on parts or structural....if structural, probably best to get a replacement, but if bolt-on bits, its a no-brainer - plenty of second-hand panels, probably in the right colour if you look around, and it could be fixed for well under the quoted figure.

The "devil you know" argument is quite persuasive when it comes to second-hand cars, particularly at 10+ years of age.....

Oh and if you do end up selling it to a scrappy its worth a lot more than the £100 mentioned above......scrap is £160+/tonne - and the car weighs over a tonne, the cat off it is worth £80+, and the alloys about £10 each just as scrap......so hang on for £200+ as a minimum....tho' if you were nearer I'd have bought it....I like my Sportwagons and also V6s.....

Last thought - I bet Autolusso would give you a decent bid on it, and they aren't that far from you....

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,040 Posts
As others have indicated, difficult to tell without knowing just how much damage and whether its bolt-on parts or structural....if structural, probably best to get a replacement, but if bolt-on bits, its a no-brainer - plenty of second-hand panels, probably in the right colour if you look around, and it could be fixed for well under the quoted figure.

The "devil you know" argument is quite persuasive when it comes to second-hand cars, particularly at 10+ years of age.....

Oh and if you do end up selling it to a scrappy its worth a lot more than the £100 mentioned above......scrap is £160+/tonne - and the car weighs over a tonne, the cat off it is worth £80+, and the alloys about £10 each just as scrap......so hang on for £200+ as a minimum....tho' if you were nearer I'd have bought it....I like my Sportwagons and also V6s.....

Last thought - I bet Autolusso would give you a decent bid on it, and they aren't that far from you....

Indeed we would, thanks for that Richard, we could also fix it with used parts for less than you have been quoted, as everyone has said pictures would help, you can post them on here or send them to me and we will give you an idea of what we would charge to fit it [email protected]

(Richard it is a CF3 so no £80 for the cat ;))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts