Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 has developed a fault on the rear nearside/passenger side light cluster.

I've read a few posts here about issues with the faulty bulb detection circuit in the rev counter - so can anyone please advise which end of the car to look at first?

Symptoms are:

1) Indicators on: Brake light flashes dimly. Indicator does not flash. All other indicators work fine.

2) Indicators on, apply brake: Indicator and brake lamp flash alternately, and dimly. Offside and hi-level brake lights work fine.

3) When driving the car, the bulb faulty indicator on the rev counter lights up under braking. I haven't checked this under conditions 1) and 2) above...

What's your advice? Light unit, or rev counter at fault??

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
487 Posts
first up I'd check that cluster is earthed properly, run an extra earth wire in if needs be...

bulb out issue would leave the tail light dimly lit after car is turned off, typically

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Definitely suspect earth problem. Could be weak contacts in the connector to the lamp unit or on the lamp unit itself.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all - replacement lamp unit solved the problem (previous unit was cracked; I guess it had been open to the elements and some corrosion had set in).

Jeremy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts