Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
156 2.5 V6 manual
My reverse lights don't work though the bulbs and fuse are fine, I'm pretty sure the reverse switch must be at fault but have no idea on how to access/change it. I've searched the forum but no joy. Can I get to it from inside the car or do I need to get underneath? Any help on the best way to change the switch will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
its on the gear box, will have 2 wires going into it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed the switch today, was a bit tricky when you don't have the best tools and have big hands!! Finally got it done, turned on ignition, put it in reverse, checked the lights and . . . . perfect!! they worked so many thanks for the help guys!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, when changing the reverse light switch I loosened what I thought was the reverse light switch, when I loosened it I got a shock as coolant poured out, anyway I retightened it and all seemed ok but all is not what it seems, I have now developed a tiny leek when the car is at running temp. This thing I loosened looked exactly like the reverse light switch (what you can see from outside of the engine, not sure what the other side looked like as i didn't take it out fully). . . . it is like a probe going into the engine block with a couple of wires attached to it, it was even the same nut size. Its screwed into the block right opposite the battery. I've tightened it as much as possible but still has leak, maybe it needs some kind of sealing compound? Any help on what it is or how to stop the leak much appreciated, can't drive the car now and miss it already!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had a look at some parts websites with pics and it seems that this could be a C2 temp sensor. Does this sound right? is it worth changing as I'll prob have it out anyway? still needs some kind of sealant though i think but not sure what type?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
It does sound as if you've unscrewed the temp sensor....the clue that it was the wrong thing being that it was fitted to the engine, not the gearbox:cheese:.....

You could probably fix the leak in true plumbing style with some PTFE tape round the thread?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it was a dozy mistake but I guess you live and learn !!
I did think of ptfe tape but do you think it can cope with the temp and pressure?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used ptf tape on the thread last week, since then I've done approx 400 miles with plenty of high revs and no leaks, so far so good :cool: thank you guys for your help :thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts