Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have phase I GTV 2.0 V6 TB. I would like to install 6-speed gearbox from 156 V6 in it. I know that should get speedometer sensor from original 5-speed gearbox. Gearshift cables are same to 156 V6 and GTV TB, but is there other difference in gearshift system?

Is there anyone who has done this kind of update?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Hello,

I have phase I GTV 2.0 V6 TB. I would like to install 6-speed gearbox from 156 V6 in it. I know that should get speedometer sensor from original 5-speed gearbox. Gearshift cables are same to 156 V6 and GTV TB, but is there other difference in gearshift system?

Is there anyone who has done this kind of update?
I don't know for certain about the V6 Turbo, but the 3L V6 non-turbo has noticeably higher gearing than the 2.5V6 156. The diff ratio is different and some of the gear ratios are adjusted to suit.

I think you will end up with more acceleration but higher revs at cruising speeds. This might, of course, be what you want.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I don't know for certain about the V6 Turbo, but the 3L V6 non-turbo has noticeably higher gearing than the 2.5V6 156. The diff ratio is different and some of the gear ratios are adjusted to suit.

I think you will end up with more acceleration but higher revs at cruising speeds. This might, of course, be what you want.

-Alex
I had one fitted to a 3.0 24v &, without digging out the different ratios etc, the difference is minimal, you'd only really notice against a stopwatch..... & then not much in it.

Clive

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had one fitted to a 3.0 24v &, without digging out the different ratios etc, the difference is minimal, you'd only really notice against a stopwatch..... & then not much in it.

Clive
And that 3.0 24V was originally with 5-speed?
Was the gears like this
1-3-5
2-4-R

If so, then it was the same as it is in turbo. I use my GTV quite a lot in track days, so that's why I'm thinking of 6-speed gearbox.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
And that 3.0 24V was originally with 5-speed?
Was the gears like this
1-3-5
2-4-R

If so, then it was the same as it is in turbo. I use my GTV quite a lot in track days, so that's why I'm thinking of 6-speed gearbox.
No the GTV already was a 6 speed but gear positions are the same, actaually reverse isn't quite as your 'diagram' as you have to 'lift' & move further to the right.

In my opinion 5 spd would be better than 6 spd for track use.

Clive

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm 90% sure I have one fitted - I won't know for certain until I pull the gearbox & engine out next week. It's a 6 speed with the reverse lift to the right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts