Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just a few questions,

1.When doing the service(belt,tensioner and 2 idlers) do pulleys also need changing?

2.My Aux belt started to shred off.Can it cause damage to the cambelt if the cambelt cover is on?Does it also have a tensioner and pulley that needs to be changed with new belt?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
the idlers are the jocky pullys in effect. hmm in it possible for the aux belt bits to get in the cambelt.
If you want to save bucks, do the aux belt without changing its tensioner and idlers. the consequences of them failing are much less. You would loose a/c, powersteering, alternator. Oil pump runs off the crank with a chain drive. Water pump is cam driven (in 90% sure?)

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
1. The pulleys (as in the four big "gears" on top of the engine) do not need to be changed, unless, of course, they are somehow damaged.

The belt needs changing, the tensioner as well. The 2 idlers only if the belt change is being done due to kilometres run, not age. The idlers do not degrade that much with age, so if the car has, for example, done only 10 000km since the last time the idlers were done, but it was four years ago, the idlers are very probably still fine. If the surfaces of the idlers are still level and smooth and they spin silently (no "tired bearing noise") then you could leave them in place. Especially if the car isn't driven very much. If the car is driven a lot, I'd replace them, though.

2. If the Aux belt snaps it can still damage the cambelt even if the cambelt cover is on. It's not definite that it will damage the cambelt, but personally I wouldn't take the risk.
The Aux belt also has a tensioner and two idlers. These items tend to wear quicker than the idlers for the cambelt, so you'll probably have to replace them too if fitting a new Aux belt, unless they look and spin fine under inspection.

The cambelt idlers tend to get tired bearings over time, while the aux belt idlers tend to wear away on the surface of the idler first even before bearing fatigue sets in, which can cause the belt to slip off and flail around or even break as a result.

In addition, while you are doing the cambelt, it's a good idea to fit a new water pump with a metal impeller, unless the car already has one. If money is no object, fit a new water pump regardless.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise guys:thumbup:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I need to do my auxiliary items too.

I can understand replacing aux belt and rollers and tensioner pulley but Is it necessary to replace the tensioner itself?

·
Registered
763 Posts
No need to replace the aux tensioner as long as it still tensions properly. Just replace the pulley.

·
Registered
597 Posts
the idlers are the jocky pullys in effect. hmm in it possible for the aux belt bits to get in the cambelt.
If you want to save bucks, do the aux belt without changing its tensioner and idlers. the consequences of them failing are much less. You would loose a/c, powersteering, alternator. Oil pump runs off the crank with a chain drive. Water pump is cam driven (in 90% sure?)
As everyone says above, just a note that the water pump runs off the Aux belt.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Why not replace everything since you're going to be fiddling there anyway. You're going to drive around knowing 1 or 2 components were not changed...ease of mind.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Why not replace everything since you're going to be fiddling there anyway. You're going to drive around knowing 1 or 2 components were not changed...ease of mind.
Certainly, if you have the money for it at all, best thing is obviously to replace everything.

But as those idlers can cost in the region of R1 000 each and none of the other components are particularly cheap, it is useful advice to know what definitely should be replaced and what can be left for another time.

My suggestions for the different categories:

Definitely replace:
1. Cambelt
2. Cambelt tensioner (or at least the pulley on the tensioner)
3. Aux belt (if it's old/fraying)
4. Plastic-impeller water pump

Check thoroughly for wear, and replace if at all suspect or if anything above 25 000km has been done on them:
1. Cambelt idlers

Check thoroughly for wear, and replace if at all suspect
1. Aux belt idlers
2. Aux belt tensioner (or at least the pulley on the tensioner)

Replace if money's no object:
1. Metal-impeller water pump

Also, don't trust a previous owner's vague statements that "everything was done a year ago" or suchlike. If you don't have it on trustworthy invoices with dates and kilometre readings on it, don't believe it. Not worth the risk trusting the previous guy who has a vested interest in making you think the cost of ownership is going to be low because of a recent full cambelt service.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Thanks, Giorget2. I'm of the opinion that your informative replies have made this thread stickyworthy.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The shreds coming off the aux belt will get under the cambelt and throw it off. The shreding is due to slip, meaning the tensioner is not working well, even if you can not hear it slip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Talking from experience. A week ago my aux belt let loose, found its way into the cambelt and walla - 6 bent intake valves - on the back head. Lucky for 2 thing - I felt it and was at low rpm.
BUY and REPLACE all the belts, tensioners and pulleys.
I bought the car and the cambelt had been done 4K Kms back. Dealer provided me with the invoice of the work done. I reviewing the invoice after the aux failure, you got it they didn't do the aux belt and pulleys.
Long story short I've now bought by new cambelt , aux belt, and all aux pulleys and tensioner from Alfa - R4000 later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts