Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
John916 look at your conversations. I contacted you. I have the tools I used when rebuilding my engine. I am about 20 miles from you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Balls!,. Sorry Chris I missed your message!, yes I would love to borrow the tools.
Just had the spoke to the guy from Phoenix Engineering. The heads need a full set of exhaust valves 6 inlet valves and guides to go with them, so not too bad. Most of the valves which need replacing are only just out of line and when tested do not hold liquid. Cost for the work is £165.00 per head which I recon is very good value.
Where's a good place for quality parts?, my friend who is a Alfa Nut say's EB Spares.

·
Registered
309 Posts
EB Spares, Autolusso, AlfaWorkshop, Shop4Parts, Alfashop and Partsworld UK. The latter sells genuine parts off cheaply but only what you see on either website is available.
Get your list together and shop around.
Respond to the conversation with your contact details so we can arrange for you to collect the cam locks etc.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
liners hold down tools are available but you only really need a large flat washer ... a length of tube to fit over the stud another washer and a nut from the head removal.. cam followers should be fine i always soak mine in clean engine oil at least.. sometimes i strip them apart.. with your mileage maybe just clean oil soak before fitting .. never seen advice not to soak them before fitting. new one on me

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would change big end bearings too, friend of mine had the same and just swapped heads, 2000km later a big end bearing was gone.
Must have been knackered from the impact on the piston.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hydraulic lifters don’t need shimming, once all back together spin over with crank sensor disconnected to build some oil pressure before going for a start.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Balls!,. Sorry Chris I missed your message!, yes I would love to borrow the tools.
Just had the spoke to the guy from Phoenix Engineering. The heads need a full set of exhaust valves 6 inlet valves and guides to go with them, so not too bad. Most of the valves which need replacing are only just out of line and when tested do not hold liquid. Cost for the work is £165.00 per head which I recon is very good value.
Where's a good place for quality parts?, my friend who is a Alfa Nut say's EB Spares.
I would try autolusso personally as I have found them to be very reasonable and deliver quickly. EB just you the road from me and I found them on the expensive side

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Thank for all the advice. Heads are being done and should be back tomorrow, all parts have been ordered and will be here shortly. The engine is still in the car so not sure if I could remove the big end bearings?.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Thank for all the advice. Heads are being done and should be back tomorrow, all parts have been ordered and will be here shortly. The engine is still in the car so not sure if I could remove the big end bearings?.
with the very slight damaged and tiny marks i wouldnt be worried about the shells in the bigends

·
Registered
21 Posts
i did not see the pictures of the heads at work due to some firewall crap...
the damage you have is quite minimal for this engine, never seen it that light actually. would not care about the big ends too..

actually its quite a wonder that you have some unsmashed valves left. did not rotate long and fast for sure...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Have replaced the 12 exhaust valves and 6 inlet valves. None of them were badly bent some were just a fraction from properly seating in the head. Stem oil seals have also been replaced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Here are the pictures of the finished heads. Due to either warping by heat or factory finish they were not flat, so have been skimmed a couple of thou.
Cost was £165 each, very prompt service from Phoenix Engineering Hereford.
20200713_154133.jpg
20200713_154306 (1).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Hi finally back to the Alfa after never ending work commitments and running repairs on the Stag!.
I have 2 questions, heads are back on and the gauge is screwed into No1 spark plug hole. I have the No 1 piston set half way up the bore and by turning the crank clockwise it will come up to TDC but! how do I know I am not 180 deg out on the stroke?. Also the heads have been torqued to 25Nm and just need the final 240 deg. Can someone just confirm this is correct. Last of all I would like to thank Chris for the kind loan of the camlocks and tools.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You are timing the mechanical sequence, not the ignition timing - the sensors and computer do that. All you are doing is making sure that at TDC the cams are in the appropriate position. There is a crankshaft lock which is useful which ensures the crank is retained at the exact TDC which is useful when positioning the belt over the pulleys and around the tensioner otherwise keep an eye on the dial gauge when you feed the belt on as it can move, especially when the tensioner is released.

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
No1 Will be at tdc twice in the 4 stroke cycle the critical part is having cams aligned,assuming it times and locks at tdc that is. Fit locking tools and it will be fine.

Sorry no idea on head bolt torque.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Thank's for the info. I also understand there are marks on the end of the camshafts ( opposite end from the cam wheels). I think I'm correct in saying the marks should line up level with the inside face of the heads?.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don’t know about that on the v6 I just thought you used the locking tools to time the cams up but I may be wrong as never done one

·
Registered
309 Posts
With the cam locks correctly fitted the reference lines should align with the head surface.

Tightening torque for head nuts is as you say.

The angle tightening adapter I loaned you is hard to use though. I did use it as a cross check rather than a gauge.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts