Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how hard the 2003 V6 starter motor is to change?

I was told that in the newer V6 engines, to change the start you need to remove/lower the engine to get the start out and new one in? Is it really so?

Years ago I changed the start to my 156 TS which was a walk in the park to DIY!

C

·
0 Posts
its easy enough on the cf2 cars, you just unbolt the rear manifold to allow access. The cf3 v6's have a cat in the manifolds which makes things more complicted. I've not changed one on a cf3 as yet but i'm in the process of removing the heads off a cf3 156. Tonights job is to unbolt the manifolds and remove the heads so i'll be able to make an assessment tonight and take plenty of pics!

·
Registered
512 Posts
its easy enough on the cf2 cars, you just unbolt the rear manifold to allow access. The cf3 v6's have a cat in the manifolds which makes things more complicted. I've not changed one on a cf3 as yet but i'm in the process of removing the heads off a cf3 156. Tonights job is to unbolt the manifolds and remove the heads so i'll be able to make an assessment tonight and take plenty of pics!
I'd be interested in pics as well! Make sure you take plenty! :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris!

I can remove cats, dogs and anything that comes in the way, but lowering/removing the engine I can't do...

If it turns out to be something I can DIY I'll save around 600euros!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
When i did my Clutch, I removed some of the mounts and moved the engine forward. I also Removed the starter motor too to get a easy fit putting the gearbox back on. But remove the manifold, i wouldn't bother droping the engine its not really needed.

C

·
0 Posts
I've had a look and I'm not sure. Maybe if you removed the subframe? Think you need to find someone who's done it. Ned perhaps?

As the floor was covered with coolant, I didn't bother unbolting the manifold from the rest of the exhaust system, so i'm not sure how much movement you can get on it.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics :)

This is not my frist priority on the fix list atm, since the car starts... I'll make it a first priority when it doesn't start anymore ;)

I'll have a look at it when we go visit some relatives who have a car lifter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts