Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
I would guess that reliability wise they are about the same. As long as they are both looked after. :)

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
im on my 2nd GTV and the first one was the most reliable car i have had. only had the new one a month so cant really comment yet. i have a mate with a 156 2.0 TS and his is pretty much the same in being amazingly reliable

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I thought the main issue with the GTV was that because it is some much more compact any job you do is 10x harder ... do you have to take the engine out of a GTV to do a cam belt change???

·
63,489 Posts
I thought the main issue with the GTV was that because it is some much more compact any job you do is 10x harder ... do you have to take the engine out of a GTV to do a cam belt change???
no not at all, the engine bay is quite cramped (even more so with the V6) but there is enough space to work with comfortably

its easy to change the belt on a TS though, if you know what your doing that is! you do have to remove part of the wheel arch liner but that may be the same case with the 156 i dont know. there is a good 5-6 inches of space to the left of the cambelt to work with

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Easier access on a GTV - essentially the same car engine-wise. Rear suspension is more complex on a GTV than a 156, clutch slave cylinder a LOT easier to change on a GTV.....;-)

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
The front suspension on a GTV is far less complicated then a 156. It uses Macpherson struts where as the 156 has upper and lower wishbones.

The 156 upper front wishbones have been know to cause squeaks and creaks, similar to a bed getting a good hammering. :D

There is a lot less to go wrong on a 156 rear suspension though. The GTV bushes are know to wear and the spring pans can rust.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
So if it is so similar how come you GTV lot have got a lounge to yourselves then ;)

·
63,489 Posts
cos were special! ;)

actually we dont, we have to share it with the arachnids :p

·
63,489 Posts
get one then. :)

they are great cars to look at. even better to drive

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Calling up insurance company and see how much it will cost etc, and after that i shall see:)

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
I would love another GTV.
I think it would have to be a V6 though. :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I would love another GTV.
I think it would have to be a V6 though. :D
My V6 GTV is the best looking, best sounding (without standard exhaust) car I've ever owned and I've had a lotus JPS Special and an origianal Mini Cooper Innocenti. Great cars they were but the V6 GTV takes it to another level.

Get one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts