Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 Twin Spark 2.0L 16V Oil Filter

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Lemans1 
#1 ·
Hi, everybody
Having heard different opinions from mechanics, vendors and owners, I am still in doubt as to which oil filter is correct for my engine. The short filter or the long filter? The owner's book shows a shorter filter than the usual ones, but in the last oil change, the mechanic used a higher filter and justified that it's "more oil in the engine". I always chose to stay with the guidance of the manufacturer's manual.
What do you guys advise?
Thanks.

#4 ·
I think it should be fine until next oil change but I would not dare give you any advice regarding that, I would just stick with that is recommended by the manufacturer from next oil change on. I'm also not aware of what benefits or improvements a larger oil filter would give your engine.

Maybe more mechanical tecchy guys on here will give you more advice regarding this but if your local (Alfa) garage says it's ok then I would think it is.

I don't really see that a slightly larger oil filter would give any troubles but for peace of mind I would just stick with whats factory recommended on your next oil change.

#9 ·
I think it should be fine until next oil change but I would not dare give you any advice regarding that, I would just stick with that is recommended by the manufacturer from next oil change on. I'm also not aware of what benefits or improvements a larger oil filter would give your engine.

Maybe more mechanical tecchy guys on here will give you more advice regarding this but if your local (Alfa) garage says it's ok then I would think it is.

I don't really see that a slightly larger oil filter would give any troubles but for peace of mind I would just stick with whats factory recommended on your next oil change.
Fully agree with you.
Thanks!
AFAIK, the larger filter was for the early CF2 engine (single catalytic converter). The later, smaller filter is for the CF3 engine (twin pre cats) which also had a different heat exchanger which the filter mounts onto.

I don't know for sure but the smaller filter provides more distance to the cats and their heat shielding to possibly have less likelihood of heat soak from the cats. In any case, either oil filter works but the early filter has a slightly larger filter area. I don't think there was a difference in non-return (anti siphon) valve or the bypass valve opening pressure.
Make sense!
Thanks.

#8 ·
AFAIK, the larger filter was for the early CF2 engine (single catalytic converter). The later, smaller filter is for the CF3 engine (twin pre cats) which also had a different heat exchanger which the filter mounts onto.

I don't know for sure but the smaller filter provides more distance to the cats and their heat shielding to possibly have less likelihood of heat soak from the cats. In any case, either oil filter works but the early filter has a slightly larger filter area. I don't think there was a difference in non-return (anti siphon) valve or the bypass valve opening pressure.

#10 ·
Need to get me some of the larger filters next time I run out then. Still using the CF3 filters on my CF2. Hardly an issue though, with oil change every 10k.

#11 ·
71736159 is listed for both the CF2 and CF3 2.0TS.
The 2.0JTS is listed with a different filter. 73500506 originally, then later a different (I'm assuming larger) diameter 55189961

#13 ·
Yes the numbers in bold are OEM p/n.
46808398 is listed for the 2.0TS in the 147, I've no idea why it isn't listed for the 156 because the engine is the same and it clearly fits!

CF2 & CF3 are emission specs.
CF2 is the single Cat engine (engine type 32301 in the 156)
CF3 is the triple Cat engine (engine type 32310 in the 156 & 147)

#15 ·
I think 32303 is the Brazil version of the 2.0TS

Most looks the same as 32301 version, but I can see the fuel lines are different, possibly due to the high Ethanol content in Petrol in Brazil.

#17 ·
Actually the number of filter holes ( or whatever these holes are called) differ, as well - at least in Europe. Here the types change before and after 2002 regarding oil filters for the TS.

Alfa Romeo 156 Oil Filter

The JTS uses the smaller types and there are also two different types - before and after 7/2004

In case you are in doubt buy an “original” filter at the nearest authorized Alfa workshop, who should be able to get you exactly the right type. These are a bit more expensive, but at least you are sure the type is right.

#18 ·
Actually the number of filter holes ( or whatever these holes are called) differ, as well - at least in Europe. Here the types change before and after 2002 regarding oil filters for the TS.

The JTS uses the smaller types and there are also two different types - before and after 7/2004

In case you are in doubt buy an “original” filter at the nearest authorized Alfa workshop, who should be able to get you exactly the right type. These are a bit more expensive, but at least you are sure the type is right.

Well, we have a peculiar situation in Brasil. FIAT, at that time the owner of the Alfa Romeo brand, decided to leave the Brazilian market in 2006 and since then, we, Alfa enthusiasts, became orphans...
What we have nowadays is a very few experts from those days, some demolition shops and the European market for replacement parts...
But at the end of the day we will survive...
Thanks for the hints...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.