Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving along in my 2000 156 2L Twinspark Sportwagon last week when it just died...... I pulled up and tried cranking it over and it sounded as though the starter motor was just spinning.ie it feels and sounds as though the starter is not engaging, if you know that sound. I tried turning it over in gear and sure enough the car rolls along, so the starter is engaging and it is spinning the crank which is obviously transmitting that drive through the gearbox.

Because it sounds and feels as though there is no compression, i reached the obvious conclusion (!) that the timing belt has snapped.

So I had the car tilt trayed home and it has sat for a week and Ive been too depressed to think about it! I love my 156.

So I thought I had better check the timing belt this arvo and lo and behold it is still in place and is still spinning. Thats great, except what the hell IS wrong with my motor?????

Any ideas?

Cheers, Ged.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend had the same problem last year and was the crank sensor. Best to run diagnostic first.
Cheers alid1, I had the crank sensor replaced about 2 years ago. This feels/sounds as if there is no compression. The starter motor sounds as if it is just spinning. I have the diag cable and software so I will run it tomorrow when I get a chance.

i should also probably do a compression test. Any idea what Psi I should expect?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts