Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed one of these? My passenger side one is bent so I ordered another one but can't find any guides for doing it anywhere.

Likely to be hard?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know a breakers yard in kent where i bought a new alfa grille for my 156. They might be able to get one for you. Shall i go onto my account and look up their email?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
They are pretty easy. There is a lock nut which you need to loosen on the rod. Undo the nut off the end of the track rod which holds it on the hub assembly. Then secure the steering rack shaft and wind the track rod out of it. Count the turns so that you can put the new one in the same amount. Reverse process to fit. Then go get it tracked as the wheels will be out of allignment. (WD40 helps alot) A good set of spanners, mole grips and a soft mallet should be about all you need.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
They are simple,

Removal:

Jack up the car,

Take off the wheel,

Loosen the 17mm nut holding the track rod end,

Mark and measure from the center of theTrack Rod END ball joint casing to a MARKED point on the Track rod,

Loosen the 19mm lock nut on the track rod end,

Unwind the track rod end from the track rod.

FITMENT:

Wind the track end back on 0.25mm past the point you marked before,

Lock the lock nut 19mm,

Fit the ball joint back into the hub and tighten the 17mm nut,

Refit wheel,

Lower car off the jack,

Go and get the tracking checked.

N.B. You may need a 5mm hex to hold the new track rod end whilst you tighten the 17mm nut.
Wind in the track rod

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The guide I wrote up there tells you how to replace the track rod end, to replace the track rod then it's just a case of removing the gaiter and undoing the track rod from the piston.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
19mm nut is about 45N.m. 3 white knuckles and the 17mm nut is around 30N.m. but atm I'm at work and don't have the manuals to hand, but if you go to Fun starts @ 3000! you can download them from there

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guide I wrote up there tells you how to replace the track rod end, to replace the track rod then it's just a case of removing the gaiter and undoing the track rod from the piston.
You make this sound so easy!

I have just attempted this today and have got nowhere.

The replacement rod has markings cut into the ball joint for spanners, on the original there is nothing. There is just the ball joint then a metal collar that spins, and behind that a white plastic insert and then the piston.

How do I get the rod off?

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
You make this sound so easy!

I have just attempted this today and have got nowhere.

The replacement rod has markings cut into the ball joint for spanners, on the original there is nothing. There is just the ball joint then a metal collar that spins, and behind that a white plastic insert and then the piston.

How do I get the rod off?
I need to do exactly what you're trying. I believe before the track rods were available from EB, it was the norm to fit a reconditioned rack, so I'm getting the feeling not many people have done this :(

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its easyish when you know how.

Take off the rubber gaiters and pull them off the track rod and look at where the track rod screws into the piston end. On mine there was a white plastic washer covering the join, cut it off if you have it.

Then get out your blowtorch and heat that joint up for a good minute or two (be careful the grease on the piston is flammable so wipe it off first). As a rule the joint is hot enough when the plastic cup has melted out of the balljoint (its a no going back scenario). Get some grips onto the ball joint housing and then twist, it takes a lot of force but it will come. I cut some flats onto mine for better grip.

The reason it is so hard is because both track rods on mine were bathed in threadlock (which you should replace when refitting). I made up this image for another forum which might give you an idea:

I found the rubber gaiters from ebspares didnt fit the steering rack, the ends being far too narrow to get over the rack end, I ended up buying some from ebay that were the right size.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Has anyone changed one of these? My passenger side one is bent so I ordered another one but can't find any guides for doing it anywhere.

Likely to be hard?
Jack up car, remove front wheel on affected side,

Meeasure from a fixed point on the rack to the center of the TRE ball joint and note it down,

Loosen the track rod end lock nut,

Remove the track rod end ball joint nut and disconnect the joint from the hub,

Remove the 2 clamps from the rack bellow,

Pull the bellow off the track rod,

Loosen the track rod to rack connection and remove the track rod,

Remove the TRE from the TR and then rebuild in the opposite order, seting the distance you measured before then have the tracking done profesionally.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
to remove the old track rod you'll need to use a stylson to rotate it off as there are not cut outs for a spanner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey's sorry for busting in on this thread guy's but seems i cant start a thread as im all new here seems that way anyway if you like to tell me otherwise thats fine.
But heres why... im looking at a 156,1.8l to buy ive heard that a 2l is the way to go is that true and why?
Ive been reading through some more of the threads today and there seems to be a bit or two that goes wrong every now and then with some alfa's hows the 156 1.8l on that matter..any advise will be thank'd

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
1.6L = good mpg, not a great amount of acceleration

2.0L = not so good mpg [ 30'ish ] & v.good acceleration, very good top speed

1.8 = good mpg & good acceleration but not the same top speed as a 2.oL

I have a couple of 1.8s for sale if you are interested :)

also to start a new thread you need to be in the main 156/147/GT section, not from within another thread

1 - 20 of 26 Posts