Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used the Toronto 400 as a replacement headunit in their 156 facelift ? I liked the look of the Hamburg MP68 (with the silver(ish) facia and the option for red lighting etc) and the features and compatibility seemed good. It seems, however to have been replaced by the Toronto - while it doesn't have the same amount of silver in the facia, it does have red as an option for the backlighting and all the other features (BT Phone, Aux input front and rear etc) - best of all - its £50 cheaper !

Does anyone know if it is directly compatible with the 156 SW controls ?

Would anyone recommend it ?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I doubt it would be directly compatible with the steering wheel controls. (Aftermarket) Blaupunkt headunits typically utilise a 2-wire control protocol, whereas Alfa's use a 3-wire protocal (except 156 Nav models).

You'll need a steering wheel control interface that connects between the Alfa plug and the new headunit.

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks shiny....I've looked at so many, Ican't make up my mind. Like lots of others, I'm looking for a headunit with :
- Silver (or ish) color and red lighting
- BT Phone built-in
- Compatible with SW controls or cable can be purchased
- Aux in at rear for MP3 - non-ipod
- Future connection of iPhone

·
7,713 Posts
I don't like your chances of finding a model offering all of that.

I've checked websites for: Alpine, Clarion, Eclipse, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Panasonic, and Sony...all the major players, and NONE have a model with all of that.

Probably the best compromise is a non-inbuilt BT model, then adding either the brand's own BT adaptor, or an aftermarket BT unit like a Parrot (which can be superior to inbuilt versions).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't get the MP68 now anywhere and Blaupunkt has gone from Argos, Halfords etc......know I can still get it from Bluespot.co.uk. I was starting to wonder if the Alpine might be better ? I've seen stuff about the CDE-114BTi - seems to have everything I'd be looking for. It also has quite a bit of silver to match the dash and can have orange illumination. .....Anyone used one of these? Couldn't find any hits when searched.

My other question is if the supplied steering wheel interface is compatible with the 156 ?:confused:

·
7,713 Posts
You sure you can select orange illumination? The UK website mentions only blue, but I've not seen the headunit in person (and in Australia, our models often differ slightly to UK-spec ones).

In general, I've always been very happy with Alpine headunits, and have owned about 8 different ones over the past 8 years or so.

Also the 114BTi does not have an inbuilt SWI; only an input socket for an external one. So you'll still need to buy an interface and patch lead (eg: Connects2 versions).

I do suggest visiting a retailer with your phone to try it out. Ensure it synchs properly and is compatible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you're right - its the 113BT model that has multiple colors ! and of course you're right about the SWI - it says its SW remote 'ready'. Any idea what the difference is between the 113 and 114 other than the above ?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
My experinece of an aftermarket Blaupunkt (the Kingston) in the GT was pretty poor-the HU never fitted nicely in the dash, even with the adaptor, nor did the steering controls work well, even with the (expensive) adaptors.

I think the Alpines look better and certainly seem to have a better rep here on AO.

Or regional rep (Damien_C) might be a good man to talk to about getting a stereo and indeed getting the fitting done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts