Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to give hope to anyone whose 156 TS suddenly gets afflicted with a stalling problem, try a throttle reset using the following procedure:

1. Switch on the ignition but don’t start the engine and leave for 90 seconds
2. Switch off the ignition and again leave for 90 seconds
3. Start the engine without touching the accelerator.
4. Leave engine to idle for at least ten minutes
5. Take the car for a spin and make sure you drive it in different styles including hard!
6. Idle should now be back to normal, but if not don’t panic. Try again.

Well, my 156 suddenly decided this morning for no apparent reason to stall at every road junction. Never happened before. Panicked, looked through this forum, read about throttle reset etc. Discovered how to do it (see above) and – very sceptically, I might add – decided to give it a try. Bingo! Nice smooth idle...

Thought I'd post this to give hope to others who may always assume the worst. Mind you, why did it happen in the first place? Hmmm.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the 156 TS doesn't have a fly-by-wire – only the V6, or so I believe.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
and the Selespeed 156

·
Registered
610 Posts
Pretty sure it's fly by wire on the later cars.. so, depends how old it is

·
Registered
62 Posts
fly by wire throttle has no throttle cable and is controled purely by wires. signals are sent from pushing the throttle pedal and transfering the information to the throttle body to determine how far to open the butterfly

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi I am having trouble with my Selespeed but noticed while i was under the bonnet, the throttle butterfly (fly by wire) was making a buzzing/hummng noise (while the engine was off), is this normal? A similar noise was commng from my dash?

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
If your ignition is on, then it's normal. The actuators on the throttle will be trying to open/close the butterfly probably ... don't forget your throttle is completely electronic, so there's lots of weird stuff under there!

The dash is probably the a/c temp sender ... there's a small grill below the controls and behind that a small fan which pulls the interior air over a sensor to check the temp ... if it gets really noisy, they are relatively easy to change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi!
I have AR145TS with 1.4TS engine and I thing that this ECU & throttle reset will also work with that engine. However, I have searched net for a while and found at least two different reset procedures. Can anyone tell me what procedure is OK? I also have some additional questions (later in this post).

First procedure I found on ItaliaAuto :: View topic - HOW TO: ECU & Throttle Reset

It says:

1. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery for a minimum of 45 minutes. Some people recommend overnight but that is not really necessary.
2. Reconnect the battery negative lead
3. Put key in ignition, turn to MAR and leave for 90 secs
4. Turn off the ignition, but not remove the key and leave for 90 secs
5. Start the engine but do not touch the throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins otherwise the car will not rev freely afterwards (as V6 owners know at their peril)
6. Turn the car off and leave for 10 mins
7. Start the car and take her for a blast

Second procedure that I found here (and on some other sites) says:

1. Switch on the ignition but don’t start the engine and leave for 90 seconds
2. Switch off the ignition and again leave for 90 seconds
3. Start the engine without touching the accelerator.
4. Leave engine to idle for at least ten minutes
5. Take the car for a spin and make sure you drive it in different styles including hard!
6. Idle should now be back to normal, but if not don’t panic. Try again.

The first procedure also includes ECU reset (as stated on that page) but there is also some difference in later procedure:
- there is 15 min idling instead of 10 min idling
- there is 10 min engine stop period before taking car for a spin

Some additional questions:
1. should this ECU & throttle procedure be done with engine warm or cold?
2. after idling for 10 minutes and before taking car for a spin do I have to turn off engine or not?

Can anyone confirm what is right ECU & throttle reset procedure consider everything that I said and asked?

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi I am having trouble with my Selespeed but noticed while i was under the bonnet, the throttle butterfly (fly by wire) was making a buzzing/hummng noise (while the engine was off), is this normal? A similar noise was commng from my dash?

Mine does that as soon as the doors are unlocked , its normal I'm told.

Apparently the fly-by-wire and fuel-pump prime themselves before you start the engine , This info came from a very reputable car tuner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts