Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've 2.0ts sport pack 3 (yr 2000).

I recently fitted a new set of Tarox G88 discs (284mm) and EBC greenstuff pads on the front (back still stanard). But my brakes have been squealing like a banshee ever since. It doesnt always happen, it seems to only happen after i'm been driving for a bit & it gets well worse after a bit of heavy use.

I have tried copper grease on the back of the pads and this hasnt helped.

Also there is a kind of a drumming which increases as i come to the end of my braking, which is more pronounced when braking from higher speeds (60+mph).

Any ideas?

I was thinking the brake calipers might be rubbing on the 16" 5 hole alloys perhaps.

Does anyone else out there have G88's fitted? Which pads are you using? Any hassles?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have same problem, had drumming accentuated under brakes esp from higher speeds. Thought it was tyres worn uneven or tread noise but the louder under braking was a puzzle. Brakes were worn out so new stock front disks and pads and two new hoses (crack in one) full fluid replacement, all good, coppercoad etc. Brakeswork well now but still get all the same noises, even rotated the tyres front to rear as the rear ones were evenly worn more than half left. Sounds like a bearing in front hub??

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i had that exact same combo on my TS 156 without probs. though i wouldn't recommend EBC greenstuff as being anything special.

the drumming/thrumming is because the discs are grooved! what do you expect? :D 40 grooves will do that. :)

my pads never really squealed, so i'm unsure why yours do. perhaps they need a repeat of the bedding-in process with a series of highspeed stoppages (obviously only done on a safe open road with no traffic around).

:)

F

·
0 Posts
I have PF pads with stock discs on my GTA and find they can still sometimes squeal a little once warm. I find a few high speed stops will clear it (doen safely of course). Don't have to be as extreme as when originally bedding in.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts