Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently aquired a 156 2.5V6 SW following an long and unsuccessful search for a GTA SW. Unfortunately, it's a total shed and is most definitely a project car.

Its got Eibach Pro kit on it but unfortunately the rear is a good 3cm or so lower than the front.

I've had it up on stands and had a look and the previous owner replaced the 2 front shocks with KYB Excel-G shocks (4 years ago), while the rears are original.

Problem is the rears are shot to pieces (not surprising being 14 years old), thus the reason for the lower rear end i think? When i jack the rear up, then remove the jack it slowly falls down...

What would folk suggest? 2 KYB rears to match the fronts? Can i just fit any old damper - the Koni street ones are cheap enough. Or a fresh set of 4 something new - B6s for example.

If it fit another brand will i notice any difference in ride height or handling?

Thanks in advance chaps.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Thanks for that. Helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone got any recommendations or advice with these shocks as i'm going to fit them this week. I can fit a GTA set, but i seem to recall most GTA owners actually changing them.

The fitting looks straightforward enough, any suggestions with that?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You've not said what you're planning on fitting.

Top mounts are different on the rear of the sw by the way, might be why it's low.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've not said what you're planning on fitting.

Top mounts are different on the rear of the sw by the way, might be why it's low.
I'm open to suggestions Chris, thus the reason (partly) for the post. I'm leaning towards B6s having read lots of reviews!

Regarding the top mount - why would my car sit lower on Eibach springs than on original springs? I imagine the top mount is still in place? If this is the case, surely all SW owners running Eibachs would have had such a problem?

I will do the shockers anyway, but would you suggest a different top mount?

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
Only if it has the optional self levelling, if it is a Turismo then it will have the same top mounts as a saloon.

It sounds to me like the previous owner has fitted lowering springs onto the Nivomat rears.

If you want to remove the Nivomats and re-use the Eibach lowering springs you'll need some non-self-levelling shocks (so either to fit a saloon or boggo SW) and also top mounts to match, as your current ones will be different.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Dan, Its a Lusso model.

So if i plumped for some Konis i would need some new top mounts? And these would need to come from a Turismo or saloon car?

Appreciate this, you've just saved me a load of time and ball ache!

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
Yes if you wanted to fit Konis then buy some saloon rear top mounts, that should be all you need. And some front top mounts too, they are cheap enough. Are you going for Koni Sports or FSDs?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Only if it has the optional self levelling, if it is a Turismo then it will have the same top mounts as a saloon.

It sounds to me like the previous owner has fitted lowering springs onto the Nivomat rears.

If you want to remove the Nivomats and re-use the Eibach lowering springs you'll need some non-self-levelling shocks (so either to fit a saloon or boggo SW) and also top mounts to match, as your current ones will be different.
Thought so, but they never seem to be fitted with the right version. IIRC there's also other differences in the rear top mounts, possibly OD of the bush? THen there's the cast iron donut that I've seen on some but not all cars.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes if you wanted to fit Konis then buy some saloon rear top mounts, that should be all you need. And some front top mounts too, they are cheap enough. Are you going for Koni Sports or FSDs?
Going for Koni sports as i think. maybe.

Will i need to change the front mounts as well. I was planning on leaving the fronts alone.

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
Thought so, but they never seem to be fitted with the right version. IIRC there's also other differences in the rear top mounts, possibly OD of the bush? THen there's the cast iron donut that I've seen on some but not all cars.
Here is the result of 20 minutes of my life which I will never get back :lol:

I've only seen the rear cast iron donuts on R-reg and S-reg 156s, I've never seen them on 147s or GTs at all. I think when the cast iron donut is fitted (60655957 on ePer) then the internal cup with p/n 60613717 is used. Then later cars which didn't have the iron donut got a different internal cup (60663774) which is used across the 156/147/GT range, except for 147 GTAs, 156 GTA SWs and police vehicles which got 60671079.

As for the top mounts themselves, part no 60663773 fits everything from early 156 saloon (there was an additional part number now discontinued which goes with the ones that got iron donuts), early SW, late saloon and late SW so long as they don't have self levelling. Self levelling top mounts are not individually orderable.

GTA Sportwagons and police vehicles use a different topmount which is p/n 60679865, this is also fitted to 147 GTA and 147s with optional Blackline/Sport packs. Presumably this is an uprated part, although there could also be a difference in height if a shallower top mount has been used to lower the vehicle rather than shorter springs. I remember fitting used GTA SW springs onto Bilstein B4s with standard 156 topmounts all round on my last 156 2.4 JTD 20v Ti SW and the rear end was higher than it should be, I've also seen a couple of GTA wagons with jacked up rear ends so stands to reason. Without measuring a pair I'm not 100% sure but I'd be tempted to say there is a physical difference in the height.

Standard 147s use another rear top mount which is 46791956, as do all GTs. I wonder if the lack of uprated topmounts on the back ends of GTs with their uprated rear roll bars is what causes them to wear out their topmounts.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
if you fit koni on the front then the original sleeve in the top mount has to be pushed out and replaced with the top hat bush supplied by koni...as the koni has a wider diameter piston bolt which is held by a cir-clip which locates in the supplied top-hat bush.
There are some aftermarket top mounts that do not have this sleeve...as I found out....not sure if they are oem but febi bilstein were good quality and had this removable bush/sleeve.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Here is the result of 20 minutes of my life which I will never get back :lol:

I've only seen the rear cast iron donuts on R-reg and S-reg 156s, I've never seen them on 147s or GTs at all. I think when the cast iron donut is fitted (60655957 on ePer) then the internal cup with p/n 60613717 is used. Then later cars which didn't have the iron donut got a different internal cup (60663774) which is used across the 156/147/GT range, except for 147 GTAs, 156 GTA SWs and police vehicles which got 60671079.

As for the top mounts themselves, part no 60663773 fits everything from early 156 saloon (there was an additional part number now discontinued which goes with the ones that got iron donuts), early SW, late saloon and late SW so long as they don't have self levelling. Self levelling top mounts are not individually orderable.

GTA Sportwagons and police vehicles use a different topmount which is p/n 60679865, this is also fitted to 147 GTA and 147s with optional Blackline/Sport packs. Presumably this is an uprated part, although there could also be a difference in height if a shallower top mount has been used to lower the vehicle rather than shorter springs. I remember fitting used GTA SW springs onto Bilstein B4s with standard 156 topmounts all round on my last 156 2.4 JTD 20v Ti SW and the rear end was higher than it should be, I've also seen a couple of GTA wagons with jacked up rear ends so stands to reason. Without measuring a pair I'm not 100% sure but I'd be tempted to say there is a physical difference in the height.

Standard 147s use another rear top mount which is 46791956, as do all GTs. I wonder if the lack of uprated topmounts on the back ends of GTs with their uprated rear roll bars is what causes them to wear out their topmounts.
:beer: :yes: But you forgot the Ti :p which is what I think prompted my confusion. My Dad had quite a few issues with finding the right replacement sings and dampers for his as they were nivmats to begin with.... And then of course we've spent the last few years tinkering with GTA's only...

Thanks for the work though, that's genuinely useful.

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
:beer: :yes: But you forgot the Ti :p which is what I think prompted my confusion. My Dad had quite a few issues with finding the right replacement sings and dampers for his as they were nivmats to begin with.... And then of course we've spent the last few years tinkering with GTA's only...

Thanks for the work though, that's genuinely useful.
If his car has Nivomats then there is no option to buy a spring, damper or top mount from Alfa, only the complete strut is listed, which is part number 60665438 for all Sportwagons (£500+VAT per side!) except for "Sports kit" or Ti models which is 60668186, although now discontinued. Neither of those struts have component parts listed. For aftermarket parts I only know of a manufacturer of replacement springs for the standard Nivomats:

SPIDAN Coil Spring for vehicles with leveling control Rear Axle Coil spring with constant wire diameter (49465) buy cheap online

Just noticed that the police versions got different rear trailing arms, 60682721 and 60682720 which are still available at around £70+VAT each, wonder if these are stronger in some way? They're a couple hundred grams heavier in weight according to ePer. Might be better for riding the kerbs..

If you know of any other source for replacement Nivomat bits, please let me know it would come in handy.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I'm using standard rear top mounts on my GTA SW and the back is too low....by about a centimetre. It may be that the front is too high as I have fitted FSDs. Other than that I am very pleased with the handling.

Another point of nerdiness that may be related to the cast iron mountings - the front suspension fork on my S reg V6 is steel. Weighs about 3x as much as the ally one, but at least the pinch bolt doesn't corrode in place.

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
I'm using standard rear top mounts on my GTA SW and the back is too low....by about a centimetre. It may be that the front is too high as I have fitted FSDs. Other than that I am very pleased with the handling.

Another point of nerdiness that may be related to the cast iron mountings - the front suspension fork on my S reg V6 is steel. Weighs about 3x as much as the ally one, but at least the pinch bolt doesn't corrode in place.
GT Cloverleaf I am working on at the moment has steel forks too.

When you say "standard rear top mounts", have they come off another Alfa or did you buy new aftermarket ones?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
That is seriously weird. I cannot imagine an industrial process that randomly has different materials in the parts bin over multiple years of production.

My rear mounts are standard aftermarket Febi-Bilstein, I wasn't aware there was any difference.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts