Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with the following:

156 SW 2001.
O/S dipped bulb gone; I can see and touch the retaining clip but there is no room to manouvre the thing to unclip the bulb.
N/S sidelight bulb gone. The bulb-holder just spins in the housing and no amount of tugging will get it out. The plastic tag looks as if it's damaged.

What's involved in removing the lamp units?

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
You need to drop that side of the bumper to get the headlight out.
Not a nice job outside in this weather.

The sidelight bulb holder just pulls straight back. Not much slack cable on it though.
Dip beam, you should be able to push the upper tips of the retaining clip forward then I think away from each other to release.

Shouldn't be too difficult, but being below freezing outside won't help...!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The 156 dipped and main bulbs are held in place by 2 vertical spring clips. You have to reach in, pull the connector off the bulb and push the clips (one at a time) at the top towards the front of the car and then sideways away from the bulb, the clips hinge at the base and will now fall backwards. Remove the bulb noting the orientation of the tag on the collar.

The tags on the sidelight holders are easily broken but can usually be pulled out by tugging on the wires. I hesitate to say 'pull as hard as you can' as (I suppose) there's a possibility of pulling the wires out of the holder, but I've never known that to happen, the holder has always popped out first.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Pubsinger, just what we needed to know about undoing the retaining clip. He tried again this morning and the dipped-beam bulb was replaced in five minutes.

As for the sidelight; the holder popped out at the same time as the insulation pulled back off the wire core and a wire's come off the main-beam connector!. Ah well, win some, lose some.

·
Registered
56 Posts
156 bulbs

Pubsinger's instructions were just about the simplest, clearest and most accurate I've read. Need small hands though :lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can anyone help with the following:

156 SW 2001.
O/S dipped bulb gone; I can see and touch the retaining clip but there is no room to manouvre the thing to unclip the bulb.
N/S sidelight bulb gone. The bulb-holder just spins in the housing and no amount of tugging will get it out. The plastic tag looks as if it's damaged.

What's involved in removing the lamp units?
Maybe a quick glance at this might show you the way to the bright sharp light : https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156headlights/

William Lütken

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just replaced my bulbs too. It took a while and it hurt my wrist, but it was better than paying a teenager at Halfords to do it.

Little tip for anyone doing this. Take a photo of the retaining clip with a phone camera so you can work out how to remove it. Once i could see what I was dealing with it became easy.

D

·
0 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts