Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I got an advisory on my last service that I had one front upper arm needed replacing, one lower arm badly corroded and the rear suspension arms also badly corroded. Also it creaks, knocks and groans like an old man on anything but flat straight tarmac. I was think of just buying the following and swapping out all of the suspension arms and drop links:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251216161714

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311153906370

Is there anything else (cheap) that I should think about swapping out at the same time. Don't really want to touch the brakes and dampers if I can help it. Its just had new rear dampers anyway. It's an 05 2.0 JTS Veloce BTW.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
If you plan to keep the car and don't fancy doing that job again, avoid fleabay parts ... buy TRW ...

And you do realise that 2nd link comes from Germany? ...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you plan to keep the car and don't fancy doing that job again, avoid fleabay parts ... buy TRW ...
Only for another 18 months or so. Just need it to get through another two MOT's really. Are TRW much more expensive?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Only for another 18 months or so. Just need it to get through another two MOT's really. Are TRW much more expensive?
Have heard of those eBay specials going bad in <6 months... Birth or TRW are the way to go for the suspension arms!

And get a wheel alignment done once the new parts are on, or you'll chew through your tyres in a few months!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Just read this:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...suspension-components-andamp-poly-bushes.html

Assume same applies to 156 as well. What am I getting with poly bushes? That would almost double the parts cost.
Polybushing the uppers will give you a ride with a little more "texture". Less give in the suspension, so more of the wheel vibration is transferred to the chassis.

That being said, polybushes will last significantly longer than the rubber ones (so long as they're fitted correctly). Will 100% out-last your car if you only want 18 months out of it....

You could scout about for a set of upper arms with decent balljoints, then fit a cheaper polybush (Strongflex I think are cheapest).. Could probably do that for about the same cost of the new TRW arms...

Or just replace with TRW because that'll most likely see you the 18 months you want...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Birth or TRW parts fitted correctly and well lubricated on installation should easily give you 18 months without any grief. That is unless you launch the car off bridges and don't slow down over over speed bumps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just bolted this lot to my 147. Took 6 days to arrive so no good if your in a hurry but was a decent price and all fitted no bother. They even knocked a couple of quid off when I clicked on make offer,not much but every bit helps. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BRACCI-...-ORIGINAL-BIRTH-8-PZ-/161626937391?nav=SEARCH
That's much more my price bracket :) Birth have been mentioned a couple of times so looks like that's the way to go. I'm in Europe so might even save on postage and ex-rate :smoker:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Maybe the italian parts will be better but the cheap parts I fitted on my son's car were definitely worn, I saw for myself, and failed an MOT in less than 6 months and less than 3,000 miles.

You are welcome to try them but I haven't seen a single good report.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Maybe the italian parts will be better but the cheap parts I fitted on my son's car were definitely worn, I saw for myself, and failed an MOT in less than 6 months and less than 3,000 miles.

You are welcome to try them but I haven't seen a single good report.
I replaced my wishbone arms a year ago for the mot,2500 miles later in a year they failed mot again.I bought cheap ebay parts.

I am buying proper replacements now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please can someone clarify what they mean by cheap parts. Are you talking about the Birth parts linked above? A couple of people have recommended Birth but these are being sold on Ebay. So are you talking about Birth on Ebay or others on Ebay?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Birth or TRW will be as good as it gets wherever you buy them, via eBay fine as long as what arrives matches the description. "Cheap eBay" here means other/unknown mfr.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally received the Birth kit and got it fitted last Friday. What a transformation! Should have done it months ago. My car no longer sounds like a tube train going over a set of points! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've just bolted this lot to my 147. Took 6 days to arrive so no good if your in a hurry but was a decent price and all fitted no bother. They even knocked a couple of quid off when I clicked on make offer,not much but every bit helps. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BRACCI-...-ORIGINAL-BIRTH-8-PZ-/161626937391?nav=SEARCH
I ordered from this vendor and never received the kit! It was over 1 month of waiting, messaging with someone who only spoke italian and eventually had to get my money back from ebay!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered from this vendor and never received the kit! It was over 1 month of waiting, messaging with someone who only spoke italian and eventually had to get my money back from ebay!
Sorry to hear that. They were fine with me. In fact I accidentally ordered on the wrong card (crappy paypal menu) and I was able to cancel and reorder on the correct card. All done in English. Maybe you got unlucky?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sorry to hear that. They were fine with me. In fact I accidentally ordered on the wrong card (crappy paypal menu) and I was able to cancel and reorder on the correct card. All done in English. Maybe you got unlucky?
It was weird, the guy would only respond in Italian and I had to use Google translate. He was adimant they would arrive but weeks went on and within 24h of opening a dispute I had a refund. So he obviously had not sent them. Annoying as I wasted ages and could have been doing the back end! Grrr rant over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts