Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ayttempted to service my 156 JTD on Sun' arvo - got it jacked up, all the fluids/filters to replace then attemted to remove the sump plug. Why on earth has this thing been fitted with an allen key head !!! I tried to remove it and couldn't even move it a couple of mm let alone get it out completely.

Now going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a garage - this has got to be the only car I've never been able to change the oil on myself.

I might just get the garage to loosen it a bit and then I'll do it myself.
Any advice on how I can avoid it becoming so tight in future - or how to undo it myself ?

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
If it is an Allen Key head (and not a Ribe Key) you can get sockets with Allen Keys in them so then you can use a bigger bar or handle if needs be.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
gav_sw20 said:
Ayttempted to service my 156 JTD on Sun' arvo - got it jacked up, all the fluids/filters to replace then attemted to remove the sump plug. Why on earth has this thing been fitted with an allen key head !!! I tried to remove it and couldn't even move it a couple of mm let alone get it out completely.

Now going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a garage - this has got to be the only car I've never been able to change the oil on myself.

I might just get the garage to loosen it a bit and then I'll do it myself.
Any advice on how I can avoid it becoming so tight in future - or how to undo it myself ?
Are you using a standard 8mm allen key? A decent motor factors will probably sell you a better quality one which is a lot longer to get more leverege.
Failing that, a piece of pipework (eg 10mm dia) wedged over the end to give more torque.
Failing that, a tap the Allen key with with a hammer.
I know its obvious but you are undoing it the right way? I am left handed so always get confused especially when lying on my back under the car! Much to my Dad's annoyance when I was a young fella and he used to supervise these things! ;)

Btw the Allen key sump plugs are much better than the alternative ones sometimes fitted to the 147 with Torq fittings, they were a real pig.

Avoiding this problem..do it up yourself but not too tight, it only needs nipping up really. Don't forget a new copper washer on the sump plug. The sump thread can easily strip if it is too tight.
Garages (especially those employing YTS or kwik fit etc) will always tend to do bolts too tight, especially sump plugs and wheel nuts.

Same with the filter..nip it hand tight only.
Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs. :)

Good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thats weird the Sump plug on my Grande Punto JTD was a normal nut which I could take out using a normal socket :D.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used allen key and 1 metre extension bar from trolley jack and it still needed some pressure to remove. Common problem seems to be these threads stripping.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The sump plug on our 147 is the Allen socket type and a pain. I would recommend buying a stock of aluminium washers and doing the plug up gently. They are so often grossly overtightened. Workshops, it seems, would often rather overtighten to be 'absolutely sure'. The thread on ours is massively long, stripping it by overtightening seems unlikely but it is quite fine and cross-threading it is more likely. All the more likely if you use an air spanner and no nouse.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I use a hammer to give the first move, then a long piece of pipe (cursing seemed to help also)... I got new washers from my brother (the Alfa mechanic) they are iron/steel with an inlay of rubber, far better than the copper washers.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
rarebear said:
I use a hammer to give the first move, then a long piece of pipe (cursing seemed to help also)... I got new washers from my brother (the Alfa mechanic) they are iron/steel with an inlay of rubber, far better than the copper washers.
Dowty seals as described above are a much better type of washer. Best to torque the plug into place, on the TS it is very low, I don't know what it is for a JTD. Also, and some think this is extreme but it standard practice on aircraft and when I raced motorbikes, lock-wire the plug if you wish for security of mind. The temptation is to tweak the plug just a bit more to make sure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The latest sump washers have a neoprene(?) insert unlike the early copper washer-just like Peugeot/Citroen, in fact.These Allen key sump plugs should only be tightened to 17-21Nm(I always use 15 ft/lbs) and as a result I never have had any leaks or problems removing the plug on over two dozen oil changes(we have a 147 2.0TS and had a 156 2.0TS)-except once when it had to have its warranty oil change at the dealers.....On the next occasion I did oil change I discovered the garage had tightened the plug to more than 50ft/lbs so,of course it stripped out the flats leaving a circular hole.I had to file two flat sides on the plug,use a spanner and a tube of scaffolding.I was lucky the threads in the sump weren't damaged.£8 for a new sump plug and I was in business again.My friend who used the same dealer needed a helicoil insert.Thankfully they are no longer Alfa dealers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, I've given up.

No matter how long the bar I'm using, the thing just won't shift.

So to the expensive mechanics it is then. :cry:

Might as well get him to put the replacement cat on while he's at it too.:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts