Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a load of threads about stiff gear selection, but my issue's a little different. Gear selection and running seem fine to me...

What's odd is that it's stuff coming OUT of 4th gear. There's no problem going into it, and it happens regardless of whether the engine's running or the clutch is engaged/disengaged. So far, there's no problem with the pull on the gears, no funny sounds, and it's not dropping out of gear or anything like that. This is on my 2000 2.OL T.Spark 156 (5 speed manual).

I've stripped back the leather cover to the gear stick and down where it disappears through a white plastic cup, there's some pink grease around the stick. I'm guessing that's normal but wanted to mention it.

I'm obviously a little worried, any tips anyone can point out would be welcome. I'm supposed to be driving to Wiltshire tomorrow. Is that a bad idea?

Cheers!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
It will be gunk in the gear box, the 156's are renouned for it in 4th gear ... my 4th gear completely blocked up ... got it stripped down and cleaned for a bout £100 (ish) and then it was working again :thumbs:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it in to get the gearbox oil changed. Haven't picked it up yet but the mechanic says it's still a bit stiff. I'm thinking it sounds a lot like gunk down there.

I'm due a cambelt change in a couple of months (thank you 36k/3 years!) so I'll get it all stripped and cleaned like a virgin ready for sacrifice if it's not eased up by then.

That's unless anyone thinks my gearbox is about to melt (happened to me on my student runaround a few years back - not funny on the M4)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts