Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for the past 3-5 years I have gleened lots of information from this forum and others. So I thought it was about time I showed what I have been up to. Its no where near what shiny_car is doing, but it serves my purpose just fine. The aim was to have a good sound quality but retain the OEM look interior, and be able to fully use the boot if necessary.

I have modified far more than I ever anticipated, from redoing the well know ISO wiring (moving the pins round in the socket by releasing the metal connectors), to running cables all over the place, and even sanding and spraying stuff! Not to mention MDF speaker mounts, modifying doorcards, sound deadening, etc etc etc. I can't remember how many times I have removed the rear seat, and assorted trim. I can honestly say I have come to know how the car is assembled.

The system in the end comprises of a Blaupunkt MP74 with a custom made fascia surround (chosen as it has the features I wanted and it matched the interior perfectly), an Alpine MRV-F340 4 channel amp 2 X bridged to run fronts Alpine SPR 176 (amp was originally used to run the fronts with two channels and the sub with the other channels bridged) and a bridged Alpine MRV-T420 powering an ARC Audio 8D2 subwoofer in a small enclosure (originally running infinite bafle).

Here are a few photos of the end result.

Headunit

Headunit at night

Front tweeter

Phone Mic - Connected via Bluetooth adapter

Boot

Alex

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was hoping for pics of your car in peices as you're fitting the gear. Is there any room under that parcel shelf for amps rather than putting them in the boot?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping for pics of your car in peices as you're fitting the gear. Is there any room under that parcel shelf for amps rather than putting them in the boot?
Sorry there are no pics of the car in pieces, most of that time was spent cursing :cheese:

I have a few pics of some parts, but no comprehensive record.

I thought of putting the amps under the parcel shelf, but there really isn't much room, you would have to get smallish amps (you can see how much space there is by removing the lining in the boot) or install them lower and loose height space in the boot. Also it is not a very good space for getting rid of heat. I did use the space to house the distribution block, fuses etc.

Got a Q2 in my smoke machine too!

Alex

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how much to make me a facia surround like that? :D
I found that the hardest part to do. Took me days!

What kind of stereo have you got?

Just to give you the background of how I did it.
The plastic surround of the MP74 is removable, I managed to get a spare one for free off Blaupunkt (allways had great service from them).
I then bought a secondhand console panel.
Roughed the surround (removed from stereo).
Taped up the console.
I placed the surround in place in the spare console using spacers as necessary.
Used bodyfiller to fill the gap.
When dry sanded.
Repeated previous 2 steps several times to get the right shape (and smooth surface).
Painted.
Refitted to stereo.

Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts