Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've read a few threads on this topic, but so far haven't found a conclusive answer.

Last night when driving home (slowly due to snow) I noticed a squeak which appeared to be coming from the steering column. When I got the car home I found that the noise continued when moving the steering wheel even a tiny amount either way when the car was stationery. Seems to be even louder today and can be heard from outside the car. Car drives, steers and stops normally.

Any ideas what this could be? Could it be something to do with the steering rack or power steering pump?

·
Registered
359 Posts
bottom ball joints if it does it when stationery
about £300 - £350 fitted (OEM part) by an indy (just been in and asked about same) as the are one piece, or 20p off ebay but they fall apart sometimes

·
Registered
359 Posts
nope thats one side!! and yes it does start all of a sudden - mine started a couple weeks ago. Gets quieter sometimes in the rain. If it clonks at all then pretty well defo be them - if it just squeaks over bumps could be the ARB bushes, or upper bushes but turning on the spot is a good pointer to lower ball joints. there are tips to inject grease but you are extending the life of a failing part. I am going to buy one and do it myself. can mail you the procedure if you PM your email addy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope thats one side!! and yes it does start all of a sudden - mine started a couple weeks ago. Gets quieter sometimes in the rain. If it clonks at all then pretty well defo be them - if it just squeaks over bumps could be the ARB bushes, or upper bushes but turning on the spot is a good pointer to lower ball joints. there are tips to inject grease but you are extending the life of a failing part. I am going to buy one and do it myself. can mail you the procedure if you PM your email addy
Thanks - will do.

Are the tips for injecting grease on this site somewhere? I'm probably going to try and sell the car shortly and don't want to spend a lot on it. Have already spent around £600 over the past year :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts