Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi wonder if someone can help me I have a 156 2002 2.4jtd in the mornings when I try to start it nothing happens, all I get is 1 click sound come from the engine bay, after many attempts it will start then will start afterwards it only happens in the mornings, there's nothing coming up on ecu scan just thermostarter low signal this has always been there, my battery is charging 12v and there's no dimming on the dash when I try to start also there's no warning lights and I've checked the batt terminals, I'm totally puzzled on what it is any help would be appreciated cheers

Kev

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Sticking starter motor? :confused:

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
Red relays infront of the battery tray sometimes cause this although you usually have the key code symbol

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Key code symbol? Is this on the dash, I haven't noticed one will have a look after work, its got me puzzled how its only happening in the mornings, after I finish work after 12 hours of sitting it starts first time well has up to now, don't think its starter motor as its only in mornings maybe it just wants a lie in haha thanks for advice guys

Kev

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
don't think its starter motor as its only in mornings...
That's why I thought that. Overnight, especially if it's been a cold one, the grease which may already be dried up, might become even more like treacle, and cause so much drag on the solenoid that it doesn't budge at all, until repeated efforts to start it finally push the plunger forward ... or did I read the symptoms incorrectly?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't think of that Ronald, just thought if its sticking it would still all of the time, do you know if these are serviceable might try hitting it with a hammer just like the good old days...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
IF that's it, it might be worth getting off and renewing the lubricant -- but

1) I don't know how difficult it is on yours (on the 164 3 litre it's a 10-hour job:rant:... I paid someone to do it) and

2) not enough is known at the moment. That was merely conjecture on my part as a possibility, based on personal experience with the 164.

:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for advice, was hopeing I could pin point it with someone having the same problem, its only going to get worse cheers

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Mine started with the bendix gear not retracting fully, and the end of the shaft rubbing on the ring gear. Then every once in a while the shaft would not even engage. Thinking about it now, though, the starter motor would at least spin, so maybe not your issue at all (unless the motor only spins once the shaft has extended at least partially... any experts around? :confused: )

It was just a thought...

Next! :lol:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
My old punto used to do this and had similar issues (Although not a diesel).

It was actually a loose conenction on the starter motor.

I was lazy though so I used to pop the bonnet and then fiddle with a few cables round by the starter motor and hey presto it would start. No more clicking and not turning over. I did get round to tightening up the earths though. Must have worked their way loose.

In anycase its probably good practice after you have checked the relays to check there is no loose connections.
Electric starter motors hardly ever fail due to their robust design of being a brushed electric motor. Only things to fail on those are the bushes wearing out or the spindle that attaches to the fly wheel breaking. Or frying the thing by cranking to many amps through is and destroying the wiring.

Or,
Your battery is shafted in the morning with the cold. Although this wouldnt explain why you have no trouble any other time. Might be worth running the multimeter over the connections and getting a volt reading.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Scotty, it started ok this morning so I'm thinking there's a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
That's probably the better answer, in fact.

I had also thought of playing the poor battery ticket, but you mentioned no dimming of dash lighting etc.... hadn't thought of a loose connection. Cold nights would, of course, play a part in that as well...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It started first time yesterday this morning I got in it and click, then tried again click I held the key in the start position and then started after a little delay.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think I would be looking at a relay problem somewhere.
The fact that the lights don't dim means that no power is being drawn from the battery.

In my last job we had a Fiat van with a 2.3 turbo Diesel engine - an absolute powerhouse of an engine that would storm up to 100 mph and still be accelerating! But from new every so often it would refuse to start. Garage was never able to find the fault but clearly there was a bad connection somewhere or a faulty relay.

What an engine when it did start though, it would storm past anything, especially on the steep hills which surrounded my area, it just didn't notice them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts