Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I need to ask some questions first to see if i can get some answers before i take my car to a mechanic. So, here goes nothing.

For the past month or so my car has been struggling to start a little bit, i thought it was a faulty battery (had it for not longer than two years) but it turned out the battery looks fine. This morning i went to drive it and it wouldn't start. The symptoms were exactly like a flat battery but a jump start didn't work and when i shorted the battery out to see if it has got juice, it sparked pretty bad.

Am i correct to think it's the brushes on the starter motor? I had this problem with my previous mercedes and went through the same things.

If it is the starter, does anyone have a rough clue to how much it will cost me to get it replaced on average?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a bad earth, or as you say the starter's goosed.

A 2nd hand one is about £40. Fitting's a bit fiddly, but nothing that'd take a pro an hour or so to do...
Do you know where the earth strap is? I'm not confident it is the problem but now that you mentioned it i'll have a look at it.

I don't think i have the equipment or skill to be honest to replace the starter motor so i'm getting someone else to do it, a garage.

Thanks for your help :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Goes from the gearbox to the n/s chassis arm, from memory...

It's not something that I've heard of failing, to be honest. Not since my 1983 Cavalier days, anyway!

Not uncommon for an earth problem - our sportwagon packed up one day with just that issue....the earth onto the gearbox was "just" loose - I could barely move it - but a couple of seconds with a 13mm spanner tweaked it tighter, and all was well.

As you say starter change isn't too much of a problem.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts