Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Having bit problem with my starter, when Im starting car it turns over then seems to slip making a spinning sound.
Any Ideas or if I need a replacement do all 156 starters fit as I have a 1.8 99 tspark?
cheers

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It sounds as though the starter pinion is not staying in mesh with the ring gear. Hopefully, this is only likely to be a defect in the starter motor. I think the 1.8 is different from the 2.0 (and more expensive).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Ahh, a skeptic!;)
If you look at Iain's signature, I think that will explain.;)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Correctamundo! I'm breaking a 158 1.8 TS at the moment. The starter motor came off the other day, and is looking for a new home.

The teeth on the gear that engages the flywheel look sound.

PM or email me if you're interested. ifmclaren(at)gmail(dot)com.

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a bit of an issue. i had a starter motor that made a whirring noise or slipping and sticking noises when trying to start it up. i replaced that starter motor with one which was arguably second hand, but on good authority that it was working properly when i bought it. the odd thing is that its sticking again, even more strangley it tends to do it more in the cold, but it had been working fine for about a week. any thoughts chaps?
much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I believe the ring gear on Alfa twinsparks is not a weak item so it suggests your starter is failing.Perhaps if it failed to work theres a slim chance its a poor earth although usually the solenoid.Buy sticking i presume you mean its engaging too long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Changing the starter motor is a pain _ you will need to remove the undertray to gain access to the two bolts underneath the starter motor there is a further bolt that is diificult to access without a four post lift - it is easier if you remove the section of the exhaust running under the engine - while you are at it it may be a good idea to change the crnkshaft sensor as this all but inaccassable with the starter motor in place

·
Registered
3 Posts
Starter problem with my 156 sports wagon

Can anyone help I have a 51 plate 156 tspark sports wagon there is a problem with starting it resently I turned the key and open the hood and it sound like a computer noise then it start anyone got any ideas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like both Koji and farris has bendix problems and can be repaired. I'm from South Africa so I dont know if its called the same there by you guys. Basiclly the shaft with the gear on it is busted or bent. Normally not so expensive as a new starter. How I check for this fault is.... 1) remove starter and note the wire placement. 2) use a second car battery or remove your battery and place booster cable on + to the power supply of starter. 3) use - booster cable to connect brieflly to other connections. 1 connection should make the gear spin and the other should make it shoot forward. If they work fine chec the connection between the two negative connections as they should work side by side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts