Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting Everyone,

As per the title the heater fan on my 156 has started squealing, the noise is pretty loud, VERY annoying and gets more intense as I turn up the fan from 1 to 4.

The noise sounds like a slipping fan belt if that gives you some idea of how it sounds and if I turn the fan off it stops, the faster the fan setting the more intense the noise gets so I am confident it is definitely the heater fan making the noise.

It is independent of recirc / outside air setting and temp settings as well.

Anyone got any ideas on what is wrong with it and if this is a simple fix or a full dash out nightmare ?

Thanks All and be careful out there in the snow :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Mine too.

Once warmed up all is wuiet.

Been told it is one or two screws to drop it from under the glovebox.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys !

That's good news, sounds like a reasonably simple one even for a ham fisted novice like me.

Am off to check some prices at Auto Lusso.

Oh yeah, and also to put some lube on the door opener buttons cos they keep sticking ... and put a new battery in as his one is dying due to the cold weather .... and change the pollen filter as the fan is a bit wimpy and I'm getting a lot of moisture from the vents ..... and I must remember to pull that AFM plug and see if it goes any better ..... :lol:

If nothing else driving a 156 is NEVER boring :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like a commercial, but I fixed mine with some WD40. I just removed the heater fan from the car and sprayed the steel shaft, both inside (I used a pipe/tube to get inside) and outside with WD40 and let it to work on the rust during the night (turning the fan upside down some few times, so the WD40 could get inside)! After a few hours the noise was completely gone :) (And that was a lot cheaper then buying a used one, which in Norway will rip me of for a 1000 Nok (100 Euros).
And I also had a water leak, like biffa described.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts