Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfa Romeo 156 sportwagon 1.9 jtd 77kw 8v

Some strange squeaking sound is coming from the front side of the engine, right below the egr. In the area of the turbo. What could it be? Someone?

Here is a YouTube video:

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Dirty belt and pulleys which simply means it is overdue a new auxiliary belt and crucially a thorough clean of the pulleys to get all the dirt out of the small poly v grooves.

New belt and failure to clean pulleys = exactly that squeaky noise in no time.
The pulleys should be cleaned every 30k/ 2-3 years or so.
That is not in the service schedule because car manufacturers like to pretend cars are low maintenance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean timing belt, I have changed the whole set exactly 30000km ago. It was new belt, pulleys, and pump. (contitech brand).
And I have also changed the pulley and auxiliary belt changed too, maybe 32000-33000 km ago. (also contitech).
And about cleaning, how do you do that?
Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And also the sound is coming from the front of the engine, so I was afraid it could be something with the turbo?

·
Registered
146 Posts
And also the sound is coming from the front of the engine, so I was afraid it could be something with the turbo?

Turbos do not make that kind of sounds. By what I am hearing, this sounds like the crankshaft damper pulley. You probably did not change that one. Also, contitech bels, not the best ones IMHO. Gates works the best from my experience, but it is all a gamble these days.

EDIT: Make a test and remove the aux belt, it is simple and start the car and hear for noise, if the crank pulley makes noise it will be regardles of the belt removal but you will rule out other options like the tensioner and roller. Listen more carefully next to the right wheel arch. These sounds tend to mislead often.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I would have said idler pulley or waterpump, but if that's all new ... A bit of a left-field guess, if you're right about location, it could be an exhaust gas leak - manifold, or into the turbo. Maybe even the EGR (you could try temporarily blanking it). Does it vary with temperature?

Edit: another possibility is aircon compressor pulley clutch. Trying giving it a squirt of WD40, see if it goes away.

If the aircon is not working, turn it off - you'll only knacker the compressor running it without refrigerant & lubricant which will likely have leaked away through a hole in the condenser. Mine made a sort of metal-mouse noise like that, briefly, before I mended the system and had it refilled.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would have said idler pulley or waterpump, but if that's all new ... A bit of a left-field guess, if you're right about location, it could be an exhaust gas leak - manifold, or into the turbo. Maybe even the EGR (you could try temporarily blanking it). Does it vary with temperature?

Edit: another possibility is aircon compressor pulley clutch. Trying giving it a squirt of WD40, see if it goes away.

If the aircon is not working, turn it off - you'll only knacker the compressor running it without refrigerant & lubricant which will likely have leaked away through a hole in the condenser. Mine made a sort of metal-mouse noise like that, briefly, before I mended the system and had it refilled.
Yes, I forgot about the exhaust manifold gaskets and studs that break. Check that to. Does it do it when cold then goes away when warm? Does it increase with throttle when cold?

·
Registered
146 Posts

Regarding the AC, it usually disables the compressor when it drops below certain pressure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I forgot about the exhaust manifold gaskets and studs that break. Check that to. Does it do it when cold then goes away when warm? Does it increase with throttle when cold?
It varies, some days there is no sound and some days yes. Worm cold it does not matter.
Today i had a long trip about 400km amd i didn't hear the sound at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The egr is blocked for a 10 years so it could not be egr. I need to check the manifold.. But how??

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Regarding the AC, it usually disables the compressor when it drops below certain pressure.
I knew I had a leak as it had failed a vacuum test, and was then refilled with indicator dye to try and find it (but didn't - too much hidden behind bodywork). 9m later my aircon was still working slightly when I got the metallic mouse rattle from the compressor. There was probably about 10-15% gas left by then, but the rattle sounded potentially expensive, and stopped once aircon was off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I knew I had a leak as it had failed a vacuum test, and was then refilled with indicator dye to try and find it (but didn't - too much hidden behind bodywork). 9m later my aircon was still working slightly when I got the metallic mouse rattle from the compressor. There was probably about 10-15% gas left by then, but the rattle sounded potentially expensive, and stopped once aircon was off.
Weird, mine was just not turning on the compressor, refilled and it started working.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The sound is definitely coming from the area of the turbine and the gearbox..
Somewhere from the area as the arrows point on the picture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You maybe have a leaking egr tube. The one wrapped in white thing
The egr is blocked with metal plates for 10 years. And the sound is coming somewhere between the turbo and the gearbox, low, and below the egr.. First rattling sound and after a while it starts to squeak. Not a loud sound, but it's there, and I hear it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The egr is blocked with metal plates for 10 years. And the sound is coming somewhere between the turbo and the gearbox, low, and below the egr.. First rattling sound and after a while it starts to squeak. Not a loud sound, but it's there, and I hear it.

Does it change with clutch engagement/disengagement?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found the problem.
It was the hose that goes from the air filter to the turbo. It was lose in the end low down at the turbine, and was rattling and shaking. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts