Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice please.
Been a lurker on the forum over the last few years getting lots of great advice about my 156 1.9 jtd m-jet.
Had a problem last winter when the battery would 'die' overnight if the temperatures plunged.
As soon as I put jump leads on it was fine.
This year it's happened once but a couple of days ago I went to open the car and it wasn't responding to the keyfob.
I opened the car and tried starting it but it was dead.
All the lights on the dash etc started flickering and was getting errors all over the place.
Motor Control System Failure, oil gauge errors etc.
As I suspected it was the battery I got it replaced due to last year's issues.

I got the car started, everything looked fine except the battery was still lit on the dash.
I started driving home and all the power went from the car until it died.

I got jump leads on it again and got it to a safe place but still have the problem.

I do have my side lights to replace but don't think that would cause battery drain.

Is it looking like the alternator? If so, what kind of price am I looking at for replacing it?

I'm not car savvy at all so looking to check everything before getting the alternator replaced.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Id say if the battery light is on its the alternator, or the aux belt has snapped but if that was the case you would have no power steering or air con either.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
If the battery light is on while driving I think that means the alternator is not charging properly, and that will mean you drain the battery every time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery light has only just started to stay on. I had to get it towed yesterday and the guy put the meter on my battery and it was 9.9v.
I think I've had most of the known faults so far and am losing patience with the car.
Over the last week my nearside side light went and I had the bulb warning light on my rev counter.
The other has now went.
Could this be causing the drain?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get the car started and see if the reading across your battery increases should be around 13 - 14 volts, if its any lower then it will be the alternator. I doubt a blow light bulb would cause battery drain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts