Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone have a tow bar fitted to their alfa romeo 156 sportwagon? We ordered one from a company called towequipe and they said they would be able to fit it too. We had to wait a couple of weeks as they claimed there werent any kits for the 156's in the country. So the day came for fitment. Excellent service they offered, they came to work to fit it. However after dismantling the car they claimed they couldnt fit it due to the (factory fitted) subwoofer in the boot. Our car is veloce spec with bose stereo.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone here have a 156 sportwagon with the bose stereo sub and maybe amp in the boot? How did you get round it did you have to modify anything?
I cant believe we cant get a bar on because of the stereo.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

p.s. its not for a caravan or anything daft like that so pls dont shout, and we wanted removable so it would be practically invisible and only want it to carry mtb's on a bike rack as we didnt want one of the ones that hangs off the boot lid or up on the roof.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
don't know what year your car is, but I had a s/w with the alfa sub option in the boot (2001, so I don't think it was bose), but I bought the car with the towbar on it and the sub in it.

The sub will come out, and its brackets too.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
my mums is a Y reg with a towbar, always towing their bloody caravan:lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, cheers guys. Think I'll try another company to get the bar fitted. Hopefully they will be able to sort it out. I cant believe its not possible.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
It might be best if you took it out and replaced it yourself once the bars fitted. Its only a few bolts so space shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have fitted a tow bar to my 2.4jtd SW 2003. I encountered the same issue regarding Bose amp in rear nearside corner. Solution...........just unbolt, unplug and remove. Do all the drilling/bolting etc, and when tow bar fitted, reinstall the amplifier. You may find, like me that the newly installed bolts and plates foul/interfere with the amp mount brackets. Its not a show stopper though, I modded brackets to suit and all working great 2 years down the line.
Good luck.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, thanks Northernlad, I have found towbars to fit the car but its the stereo that gets in the way. I think I will do as suggested above and remove the amplifier/sub and get the towbar fitted then mod fixings for the amplifier to suit.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yep, thanks Northernlad, I have found towbars to fit the car but its the stereo that gets in the way. I think I will do as suggested above and remove the amplifier/sub and get the towbar fitted then mod fixings for the amplifier to suit.
Do not do it. I have the sub and it did not need to be removed.

Been out to my SW and the Type is:

Bosal T2070 detachable Tow Bar. Bought from Towequipe - UK's best value towbar store -, around £200. Specific for a Sportwagon.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Northern - did they fit it too? Odd as they are the very company that came out to work to fit it, stripped out the back of the car then claimed they couldnt fit it cos of the sub!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Northern - did they fit it too? Odd as they are the very company that came out to work to fit it, stripped out the back of the car then claimed they couldnt fit it cos of the sub!!!
Yes, Used 1 of there fitting centres, all in was £300 + VAT.

Got frame underneath which is bolted. Wiring runs from centre to OSR to boot loom. Drpeed it off at 9am and collected it at 3pm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do not do it. I have the sub and it did not need to be removed.

Been out to my SW and the Type is:

Bosal T2070 detachable Tow Bar. Bought from Towequipe - UK's best value towbar store -, around £200. Specific for a Sportwagon.:D
Strange.......Mine was also a Bosal with detachable swan-neck. It most certainly needed the the Amp out of the way to locate the fixing bolts on near-side rear corner. perhaps they have redesigned the bar to suit:confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yep weird, so one persons fitted, the others didnt. Towequipe fitted towbar to one car but not another. Something odd going on here. Oh well. I think I might book it in at another company, if towequipe dont want our cash I am sure there will be others who do. Then I'll prob take the amp out to be on the safe side and refit once the tow bar is on. Seems the most hassle free way of moving forward.

Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts