Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive discussed it before but i'm finally ready to replace the springs, dampers & bushes on my 2002 156 SW.

The car has 18" wheels and as soon as i put them on i could feel the car was higher and more wollowy? going round bends.

As you can see in the pic, the car sits high and there are large gaps between the wheels and the wheel wells.

Ive already ordered Koni FSD's, Eibach sports stabaliser anti-roll bars (as mine are knackered) and a full powerflex kit.

The Eibach springs look good to me and i was looking at 30mm of lowering. Can anyone recommended these and does anyone have a pic of a 156 with these fitted?

Will 3cm be too much? Ive also been recommended to use alfa sportpack springs (Mines a Veloce but because its a sportwagon it doesn't have the 2.5 cm lower fronts and 2cm lower rear sport springs). Where can i get new sportspack springs from?

will the Koni's be ok with 2-3cm lowering?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
:eek: those wheels :eek:

Eibach seems to be the way to go, they even used to sell them together as a kit.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah after reading up about Eibach, thats all i want on it.

I don't want it to be too low and look chavvy. Can someone show me a pic of a 156 that has been lowered 3cm? cheers!

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
Have a look at the advert for the 3.2 in my signature, I think that is a 40mm lowering.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pud, The car looks amazing, but 40mm would be too much on my car i think. But from your pics i can see that 30mm might just be right :cool:

And thanks for the link Rick, ive read that before and it got me thinking. Would it be better just to put sportspack springs on?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Eibach are excellent.

I can also recommend KONI adjustables - shocks & springs as a kit, I have them on my SW 156, I only run 17's with 225/45's mind.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at that kit before i found the FSD's which seem like a more advanced\easier setup. I haven't heard a bad word about them.

Did you lower the SW jasons?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i had a 156 sedan with chav (i can say that now!) chrome 18s, KONI Sport dampers, and Eibach springs.

i found this a great combo for comfort and handling. my car had the Zender kit, so it probably looks a bit lower than without.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/10985134/264642652.jpg

i also have Eibach Pro Kit (with KONI Sport) on my GT, and am really happy.

:)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive ordered all the parts from EB and they can get the Eibach springs too, so have gone ahead with getting everything from them.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I was looking at that kit before i found the FSD's which seem like a more advanced\easier setup. I haven't heard a bad word about them.

Did you lower the SW jasons?
yes it sits lower.

I am derby if you needed a quick look for guidance.

I can recommend the Q2 as a fantastic mod.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Are they the 30mm Ebachs on your 156?
yes. -30mm Pro Kit springs. note also, i had a big, heavy stereo in the boot which dropped the rear an extra 10~15mm!

overall, i never measured the height before and after the springs. so i don't know whether there was a true 30mm drop or not; could have been less or even more. but the end result was good.

:)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dont go too low. I had to raise my suspension here is photo of my wheels before raising.
You showed me that before mutton. Do you know exactly how much it was lowered? It looks about 5cm! What did you change the springs to?

yes it sits lower.

I am derby if you needed a quick look for guidance.

I can recommend the Q2 as a fantastic mod.
Thats great, cheers Jasons. Ill have to look out for you around :thumbs:

yes. -30mm Pro Kit springs. note also, i had a big, heavy stereo in the boot which dropped the rear an extra 10~15mm!
I was wondering why the rear looked lower. Thats good for me to see as i do load the car up every Saturday and don't want it sitting ridiculously low (Although it appears that there is ample space inside the wheel well)

Ill go ahead with the work in a few weeks (Eibach ARB's on back order) and let you see the result.

·
Registered
28 Posts
laptop matt, the s/w had sportpack 2 added. with ajustable springs,
it took half an hour to raise the car 30 cm. it still looks low, but i can
ride over potholes without problems. and have plenty of ajustment
either way if required . origonal lowering was 7cm-----

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
sorry mistake on cm/mm, raised the springs from 630mm (GROUND TO CENTRE OF WHEEL ARCH) to 700mm approx 3 inches.
on UK roads, lowering to 630mm is fine, I have17 " 215/45zr17 tyres
and they never caused me any problems regarding turning etc..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts