Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Does anybody know where I can get a workshop manual on the 2002 Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.5l V6 ?
I want to replace all 4 of my shocks, but From what I've heard, it might be a tricky thing to do.
Especially the rear ones.
Supa quick said there mechanics are not trained to do it, and Hi-Q said the have not done it before.
Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Hi guys
Does anybody know where I can get a workshop manual on the 2002 Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.5l V6 ?
Good question - for the 145/146 someone managed to get a PDF on the net. The best place to get how-to info is Alfa Romeo forum and Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum

I want to replace all 4 of my shocks, but From what I've heard, it might be a tricky thing to do.Supa quick said there mechanics are not trained to do it, and Hi-Q said the have not done it before
The problem is you need to get hold of spring compressors and those cheapies at auto parts shops won't cut it - you'll put yourself in danger when the springs decide to jump out.
I cannot fathom that they cannot figure it out - the 156 has double wishbone up front and MacPherson at the back - it is not rocket science (although the V6 does go like one)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got the workshop manual. If you prepared to wait till the weekend i can get you a copy. Its R 8600.00 for the geniune manual. Only kidding.....PM me :lol:

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
the rears are **** easy.. 10 mins a side. one bolt on top and 2 or 3 down under. fronts.. not so much.. allot harder to do and you have to copress the spring. but all in all about 20 -30 min.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Maybe a bit optimistic with those times Master P.
Stripping the panels inside the car take time, jacking it up and removing the wheels take time and it’s not a new car so there might be other surprises.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
10 min on the rear. guaranteed. you dont have to remove the rear panels at all just the one pices which is a star screw

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I agree its not bad to do but i must say 10m a side sounds a bit optimistic.
But if you start timing with the car jacked up, wheels already removed and you really want to break a record i am sure you can do it if you have done it before.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
oh wait. We used an airgun.. lol

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
That will save a couple of minutes :lol:
We prefer locking the airgun away its much safer for the health of the workers that way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again you guys have come through!
I now feel confident that I will be able to do this with some fiddling.
I will try and take some pics as I go along so I can share this with the rest of the forum.
Thanx

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I directed Brian to chat on this thread:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/220201-sa-classifieds-for-sale-wanted-trades-35.html#post4644234
I'm looking for replacement back shocks for my 2000 156 SportWagon - (GT Motors quoted me ZAR7k for rear shocks only)
We need to establish if your car has self levelling shocks at the rear. I am not sure that it does - My 2003 SW had.
If it has self levelling - that would pose a problem for local suppliers... Then I would be so bold as to suggest getting a bit harder springs for the rear and getting Koni SRT (not the Sport) for budget reasons - that will bring you in cheaper than GT's quote

I paid about R12k for a complete set of coil-over shocks - but it is not everyone's cup of tea... as you might hit a bump and spill it :cheese:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not self levelling shocks... the quote from Hi-Q was 1900 bucks per side for Monroe shocks ex fitting - If you cost the shocks online they are nowhere near these prices. I can only assume that the consumer is being shafted.

The price differential between front and rear shocks on the 156 Sportwagon is too big IMHO - I got the fronts replaced and alignment done for 2k so the pricing front vs rear seems way out of whack.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
The rears are McPherson struts while the front is double wishbone. Shocks for McPherson's are quite a bit more expensive than most other types. Is the quote from the same guys? How far apart in time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Steve quoted me 10k for FSDs installed on all 4 corners. I just had Monroe fronts installed.

"Firstly , the FSD is a very special technology in dampers its expensive , but due to the special way it works they come as complete kits not just the rear . It is a super compromise between performance and comfort though if that’s what you need FSD SET R 10600.00 Less 10 % discount "

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
What about the SRTs?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts